loganberries

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love berries, but have never tasted these. Guess they are not common around here. Maybe Marshall will chime in. (He seems to have LOTS of berry varieties.)

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a Loganberry, the older original kind with thorns. The thorns are not bad though.

It is a kind of BLACKBERRY which has Raspberry ancestry in it.

It is one of my favorite berries of all! If picked a touch early it tastes like a blackberry, and is still slightly reddish. Picked just right it is kind of purplish colored. The berry slips out almost like a raspberry, but bleeds juice, yummy. Picked just right like that it has that subtle raspberry flavor. Picked a bit late it is about as black as a blackberry, but begins to go bland, but sweet.

My old version grows similar to a boysenberry. floppy viney, and should be staked up. It does not spread wildly. In fact, I set 2 canes into the ground to get more plants, tip layer fashion. Seems to be taking. I also buried some of the prunings and seems to be new growth coming up there. Fingers crossed.

It seems hardy as can be here in barely zone 8, and this was a zone 7 winter, and made no difference on it.

I hear tell there is a thornless version that grows nicely upright.

The berries are good sized, long and conical, but not the most uniform.

Right now for the first to flower race, looks like Boysenberry will be first to flower by only a couple days.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND LOGANBERRIES!

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks Marshall!!! are they full sun? and should they be kept away from other berry bushes? I am really looking forward to getting some :bowof these!!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
The more full sun they get, the better they will produce.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Loganberry, and Boysenberry are very similar in that they are both results of the blackberry and raspberry cross breeding, with slightly different parental variety's. The Boysen may actually have been the result of a Loganberry/blackberry cross. Boysenberry nursery stocks were hit hard a couple years ago, from a disease. You would be lucky to find canes available for them.

I wonder if the berry that Honeycomb's thinking of, may be the Huckleberry? They are very blueberry like, but often red, and generally a smaller berry. Just a slightly tart flavor, they are fantastic in pies!
Usually they grow wild in the forest, along with the blue variety of them. I've never seen them sold commercially around here.

Latest posts