Logging Potential

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know much of the science behind it, but here is what amounts to my personal experience using wood ashes on the garden:

We have red clay mud here, very dense. If you take up a spade full from about 8 to 10 inches down and run your finger across it, it is very nearly pure and consistent, as if you'd bought it to spin pottery from!

We heat exclusively with wood and having lots of ashes, I always spread them out across the garden each winter as this is the easiest way to dispose of them.

It has been my experience that the ashes do a great job of breaking up the red clay. It seems to obliterate it. When I turn the soil in the spring, it has a very light and friable texture to it, rather than slick, compacted mud. This also allows me to till a little sooner than our clay soil would otherwise allow.

You have to use wood ashes fresh in order to get the benefit of the potash in them. Potash leaches out very easily and if you decided to pile them and after several rains dig them back up to use them, you would have none left in it as it would have run off into the soil below. That is why I apply them directly. I have never had to amend for the potash content of my soil.

However, all things in moderation, you would not want to use the wood ashes exclusively. I also add in composted manure, compost and ag lime, as well as other things like bone meal as needed. The heavy organic humus from the compost and manure do alot to improve the soil texture, so I would not attribute it entirely to the ashes.

The ashes seem to powder the clay, and alone would not be ideal, I am sure. It makes it so that the clay has a very hard time readhering to itself, which as was said, probably has something to do with molecular bonds.

I would, from my experience, encourage the use of wood ash, as long as you use it as part of a well-rounded approach. My gardens just get better year after year and I have not noticed any adverse effect from the application of wood ash. Of course, my knowledge and experience grow year after year too, in addition to the cummulative effect of a good composting program, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it as well!

As for your cedar, you might even want to think outside the box (or outside the garden, as the case may be). My dad salvaged a giant eastern red cedar from my neighbor's yard when they had it cut down and he had the logs made into a full sized bed entirely made of cedar. With the bark removed, it has the most wonderfully random patterns etched into it from wood borers and the knots and ends show off that beautiful burgandy center that cedar is known for.

For your shorter pieces you might consider making endtables and plant stands for your indoor or outdoor furniture, as your decor allows! Or have it cut into planks or round slices and make accent shelves. Just the thought! I am envious! :drool :love

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I went to weekend workshop a couple of weeks ago on all things soil.
I know there is alot of advice given everywhere about adding ash to the soil or sometimes its even in amendments that you can purchase at the nursery or garden center.
The newest findings according to this workshop I went to is this,
The instructors(there were several who did different workshops) advised against using ash or use it in very small amounts if at all.
What you want is as someone mentioned, the charcoal component.
Biochar is where its at. You burn your wood extremely low and slow so it gets to be all black and charcoal like and then crumble it all up.
A guy there had a machine that manufactured biochar but he was there for demonstration purposes and does not sell the bi product of his demos.
However, he Gave me all that he had. A huge trashbag full of it.
Crumbled little black pieces, it was not like the charcoal that makes a mess and stains your hands, it was pure.
Lovely stuff I'll say, went right into my garden to get the soil ready for this coming spring.
Gave the soil a nice rich look too.
I promised to keep a journal of my garden growth and any big improvements I see and report back to him on it.
I put my onions and shallots in today and the garlic will go in next week so they will be the first of my experiment.
They claim with biochar that once you add it to your soil it keeps on working forever.

This is not to say anyone who is using ash with success is wrong or anything like that. Just reporting what I learned and as we all know everything works differently for everyone so please do not take it as anyone is trying to disprove your success.

Latest posts