Loofa Instructions

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Here are the instructions that some of you wanted for the loofas...
5719_loofa.jpg

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
smom1976 said:
so all you do is peel it? thats it..

50feet tall?? :th

I am quickly running out of room.. for stuff..
No you have to peel it after it dries and then you have to rinse, rinse, rinse to get the insides out too. Then just let them dry.
I'm more worried about the ROOM it needs! Sounds kind of like Jack's magic bean stalk. lol

FarmerDenise

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We let ours run along the ground last summer. Our summers are dry, so they didn't rot. But a frost hit before they had started turning color and after that most of them rotted.
The growth habbit is about the same as cucumbers or pumkins.

Once they are very dry you remove the skin, then you rinse them in water to get all the non fibrous material out. This stuff is slimy, but does wonders for the skin. Makes it feel soft like a babies butt. I ended up fighting my SO for the proviledge of rinsing them :p.
Then you still need to get the seeds out.
One year I decided to give them away as part of a gift basket. I soaked them in bleach to get a nice uniform light color.
I also found that my homegrown luffa were not as big or as ruff as commercial luffa. We like them better, as do our friends.
I use them for household scrubbers also.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am bumping this back to the top for me&thegals to be able to find it!

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Great! Now I can't wait to get the seeds :) My sister and a friend make soap and have done soaps encasing loofa. It would be neat to supply them with the loofa!

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Great! Now I can't wait to get the seeds :) My sister and a friend make soap and have done soaps encasing loofa. It would be neat to supply them with the loofa!
My gGD wants to make soap and give loofas for Christmas. Encasing the loofa sounds neat. Might have to try that if we can get enough loofa to grow. lol

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
I make soap too.. is this using a melt and pour or is this a cold process soap?

I was thinking about this .. when I made some Cucumber sented with tea tree oil, yesterday

denimangle

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a question about the growing of loofas.
Im also wanting to plant Birdhouse gourds and squash
My question is How far apart do I need to plant so they dont cross pollinate.
Thanks for any info
Cheryl

Texan

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm gonna go ahead and give full disclosure here, I thought they were a product of the sea. I did. Who knew.