Loofa Instructions

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Texan said:
I'm gonna go ahead and give full disclosure here, I thought they were a product of the sea. I did. Who knew.
You are not alone!

I first heard of them from Twiggy, 1960's British model. She attributed her looks to the Loofah. I was pretty young but thought "I need me one of those!". No one knew what those were around here and we thought they were sea sponges or those little square green/ yellow fake sponges for the kitchen. It was hard to convince me later on that it came from a squash and not an exotic imported item that only models could afford. When they did come on the market they were very pricey.

Athena

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Texan said:
I'm gonna go ahead and give full disclosure here, I thought they were a product of the sea. I did. Who knew.
Your thinking of sponges...

My Greek uncles back in the day, from the "old country" used to dive to get these to sell to tourists.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
denimangle said:
Hi,
I have a question about the growing of loofas.
Im also wanting to plant Birdhouse gourds and squash
My question is How far apart do I need to plant so they dont cross pollinate.
Thanks for any info
Cheryl
Sorry....I have no idea! This is my first year with the loofa so I am a novice also!

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You aren't alone...when my GD told her other gramma we were growing loofas she asked her "Where, in the pool?" :lol:

2dream

Leafing Out
Reaction score
denimangle said:
Hi,
Thanks for any info
Cheryl
Cheryl, We have had loofa for years - so many years in fact that they pop up all over our yard. For the last several years we have let them grow about 20 ft from our squash, cucumbers and zucks. Never had a problem with cross pollination at that distance. I have no clue what the professional recommendations are but for us - the 20 foot marker is ok.

I guess the most important questions are: Do you save your own seed from one year to the next? And will it really matter if a few gourds are cross pollinated with a few loofa?

If you are saving your own seed year after year you may want to go a greater distance to ensure that contamination is not a problem.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
shelleyd2008 said:
You mean, all loofas are from SQUASH?? I didn't know that!
Stick around///we'll teach you lot's of stuff! :lol:

denimangle

Leafing Out
Reaction score
2dream said:
denimangle said:
Hi,
Thanks for any info
Cheryl
Cheryl, We have had loofa for years - so many years in fact that they pop up all over our yard. For the last several years we have let them grow about 20 ft from our squash, cucumbers and zucks. Never had a problem with cross pollination at that distance. I have no clue what the professional recommendations are but for us - the 20 foot marker is ok.

I guess the most important questions are: Do you save your own seed from one year to the next? And will it really matter if a few gourds are cross pollinated with a few loofa?

If you are saving your own seed year after year you may want to go a greater distance to ensure that contamination is not a problem.
This is my first year to even have a garden in many years ..

I am going to save the seeds from at least some of the loofa & Bird house gourds for next year or maybe to sell/trade at my flea market booth.
What do you do with your Loofas?
Im thinking about slicing and making soap with loofa on the soap. Then selling at market.

Cheryl

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I keep posting this question .. ... but when you make the soap with your loofa.. are you using a cold process soap? Or a melt and pour?

I make soap using cold process.. i could pour some over the loofa (hopefully mine will grow) and then let it cure.. has anyone done this?