Look at what I found in my greenhouse.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Leave them out for the cut end to dry on a sunny window. I use a pretty big decorative plastic pot-would guess 3-4 gallons. Use a nice fluffy growing mix-toy can put both tops in. I just place them on the soil-don't really bury them. They will just sit forever-I bring them outside in the summer. When you bring them back in in the fall use an organic insecticide so as not to bring in pests. It may take 3 years to bloom-I don't really keep track.I use orchid fertilizer on them when I think of it. Then one day the center will start to grow tall and that singles that the fruit is ready to bloom.

I know that I have told this story before. My first pineapple came from one I had prepared to a my parents when visiting-mid to late nineties. I have kept it alive all of this time, so the plants mean al lot to me. When it ripens I share it with my children and now my grandchildren. Eventually the plant will split into 3 plants and keep growing. I again plant the top after we eat it. I have 2 big pots of plants with quite a few plants in each pot. I just put the new top in with all the others as long as there is some soil surface. It takes a long time to ripen. Once I had a deer eat my ripe fruit just as I was about to pick it. When it is ripe it gets quite yellow and the perfume of pineapple will fill your house. I have had a few get quite large but they are usually smaller than store bought. But soooo juicy.
Thanks for the information. If I do not drown it, freeze or otherwise forget it! I might have a have a pineapple for the boys some YEAR ;)

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone else has this problem with fresh pineapples. If I get overcome with how delicious they are and eat too much my tongue feels like it is burned. Any one else feel this?

There is actually one of those facebook 'challenges' going around about this. The enzymes in the pineapple juice breaks down protein. People try to eat a whole fresh pineapple, most end up in tears.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is actually one of those facebook 'challenges' going around about this. The enzymes in the pineapple juice breaks down protein. People try to eat a whole fresh pineapple, most end up in tears.
Lord I must be tough (or conditioned!) I can easily eat 1/2 a pineapple a day. :drool Love them.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, you know that the ingredient for meat tenderizer is papain, which is one of the substances in pineapple. Bromelain, too, but I don't know if it is used as a meat tenderizer.
I guess your tongue is getting tenderized. I know my mouth gets sore if I eat much pineapple, but I sure love it.

Latest posts