Look at what I found in my greenhouse.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
CAT_0235.jpg
One of my original amaryllis seedlings in bloom today.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, you know that the ingredient for meat tenderizer is papain, which is one of the substances in pineapple. Bromelain, too, but I don't know if it is used as a meat tenderizer.
I guess your tongue is getting tenderized. I know my mouth gets sore if I eat much pineapple, but I sure love it.

Actually the bromelain IS the enzyme that is doing the job, pineapples don't have papain (that's papayas).

The core has the greatest amount of the enzymes, so if you don't eat that, it doesn't hurt as much (that's also why they cut the core out of canned pineapple to make the "rings"

Bromelain will also break down the proteins in gelatin too so if you try and add fresh pineapple to jello, it will never actually jell. This also applies to papaya and kiwi fruit (which also has protein digesting enzyme)

One additional problem one now has to deal with in modern pineapples are seeds. Pineapples are one of those fruits that does not need to be fertilized to grow.

The reason why we have seeds now is as follows, in its native region, pineapples are fertilized by hummingbirds. Back when most of our pineapples came from Hawaii, they were therefore seedless since Hawaii does not actually have hummingbirds. This is why if you buy one of the "specialty" pineapples (like the Hawaiian baby or the African Queen) they will STILL be seedless, since those are still grown in Hawaii and other places that are hummingbird free.

However, nowadays a lot of the major pineapple producers (like Dole) grow the vast majority of their pineapples in places like Mexico or South America, which DO have hummingbirds, so seeds again. No one seems to care (the seeds are pretty small) but if you find one (they look a bit like raspberry seeds, you can probably find a dozen or so in any given pineapple you can grow another pineapple plant (though it is a LOT slower than using a crown) which may be genetically different from what you started with.

And if you think pineapples are bad with regards to making your mouth sore, Richter's Seed Zoo currently has seeds collected by Joe Simcox for a relative called a pineapple finger fruit which has so much you can get through more than two or three sections without hurting yourself.

https://www.richters.com/Web_store/web_store.cgi?product=X9560

http://eagleeyetravel.blogspot.ca/2013/11/tasty-bromeliads-bromelia-karatas.html

Latest posts