Look at what I found in my greenhouse.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
if i had a lot more space i'd stagger them so i could have blooms all winter, but it would also mean having more warmth and sunlight too. we just don't get enough light to support them growing well in the mid-winter. at times we can go weeks at a time without any sunny days.

in previous years when i've stopped watering them in the fall so they'll go dormant the plants would quickly lose their leaves because i was keeping this room 5-10 degrees cooler. the past few years Mom has been home more (she used to be a nanny so was away for parts of the week) and so the house is being kept warmer and the plants are not dropping all of their leaves. this spring i have a few plants with a few leaves still green even if i've not watered them since last fall.

nice sunny morning now and the plants have sun on their leaves for a while. i can't put them outside until mid to late June.
Losing all leaves is not a bad thing.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
note, i'm not talking about multiple blooms on a single stalk. the variety i grow here will have 2-4 blooms per stalk and it depends upon bulb size, but also how much energy the bulb was able to store over the growing season. many bulb plants will reform the entire bulb each season and that is when they also form the flowers for the next cycle. i don't think the amaryllis does this quite so aggressively because it seems that the outer layers persist a while longer, but i'm pretty certain the inner layers will split to form new bulbs that eventually show as separate bulbs when the outer layers finally do wither away into tunics.

i am talking about multiple flower stalks. those i've only seen one per bulb. if examined more closely all bulbs that appear to have multiple stalks are more likely just as i mentioned above, two bulbs smashed closely together. if you pulled the plant out of the pot and removed the outer tunics/layers you'll find more than one bulb in the middle. if this isn't the case i'd be very surprised and also very interested in examining the plant closely. i'm also sure that many people would be interested in such a plant because more blooms are always desired...
Mine have seen to form bublets. They do not appear to split.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
i think they are one bloom per bulb, so you likely have multiple plants in that pot. which is ok, i don't think they really mind being a little crowded at times. even my youngest bulbs send up side shoots...
If you every buy expensive bulbs from the premium sellers, their bulbs have 2-3 stalk per bulb.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you every buy expensive bulbs from the premium sellers, their bulbs have 2-3 stalk per bulb.

not that anyone would do this, but i'd bet if you cut them apart you find multiple bulbs inside outer tunic/layers. just when grown in very good conditions there is enough energy that the bulb forms multiple babies interior to itself. eventually these will show up as separate bulbs up top.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
my main planter bulb is splitting. has two places where leaves are coming out of the center, outer layers of bulb are still there. hahaha! *pulls foot out of mouth*

the only flower stalk i'm seeing in my main planter is from a smaller bulb off to the side.

this is funny. that's what i get for repotting it...

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
landon with plants teg.jpg
Landon and I had to move plants to the great room-making more room.

Latest posts