Look to where your mind goes

Mickey328

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Like Lesa, my mind goes to our eventual little bit of paradise...designing root cellars, barns, rabbit sheds, deciding on livestock and admiring all the pretty eggs we'll have in our basket ;)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good Heavens, Cat!

Your realize that there are plenty of closets today that are as large as an 89 square foot Tumbleweed home? I'd have to go outside to turn around!

I probably wouldn't really want even a "garden office" since it would remove me from a central location in hearth and home. The computer is in the living room again - which gives me a wider view. Unfortunately, I'm always in the middle of comings & goings but, then again, I'd probably miss knowing about them in my "South Window" location. That has certainly been the case in the past.

Probably thinking out how a building could be different and yet still practical is nearly as much fun as constructing it. My buildings have generally come together okay but I'd guess that people with real skills would be humored by how long I think over each step.

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yea, My husbands a big guy-we probably would fit inside at the same time. Hahahahaha So cute though/
digitS' said:
Good Heavens, Cat!

Your realize that there are plenty of closets today that are as large as an 89 square foot Tumbleweed home? I'd have to go outside to turn around!

I probably wouldn't really want even a "garden office" since it would remove me from a central location in hearth and home. The computer is in the living room again - which gives me a wider view. Unfortunately, I'm always in the middle of comings & goings but, then again, I'd probably miss knowing about them in my "South Window" location. That has certainly been the case in the past.

Probably thinking out how a building could be different and yet still practical is nearly as much fun as constructing it. My buildings have generally come together okay but I'd guess that people with real skills would be humored by how long I think over each step.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those are cute houses! I agree with Heather though, it would be tough making it through a real winter in such a tiny space.
Even if you lived alone. But one would make an awesome guest house! :)

I wonder at the price tag though, holy cow! I like to look at sheds, just dreamin' you know, and there is a log one I like with more square feet for a tenth the price of the DIY one.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My mind not only wanders it often gets lost. Nothing is worse than losing your mind. :hide

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
My mind lately has been going to shipping crates. Those 40 ft. long steel shipping containers that can be bought for around $2500. I am imagining what kind of housing they can make. Just thinking about two or more put together in functional ways to make a small home for a couple, or even a small family. They are ugly as they are, but a little imagination and some plantings...well. I am not thinking about living in one myself, unless I could put it in a fabulous location, but for the many many folks who can never own a conventional home for what ever reason. Eh, I'm always trying to solve world problems in my head.:/

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Stubbornhillfarm said:
My mind wanders to home. (because I don't get to spend enough time there)

So in my case, "home is where the heart is."
I feel the same way, I miss being on my property in NC thankfully will be able to spend some time there soon. Theirs nothing like that place we all look forward to spend our time.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
My mind is wandering a lot lately! We're building a house in the spring so I'm obsessed with details right now!
I've always thought building a new home was a great way to get a divorce. Not saying! Just a thought.

DH and I built two houses. Our first was started before we were married. I knew nothing about construction and yet, I was the go-fer. Believe me, the lumber yard guys saw me coming and the last one to think of what else he needed to do. . was stuck coming back to wait on me. Still, they had time to tease me that my fiance would get my help with the house and then find a cute little girl who could cook to marry.

We got through that project and married the day he installed a stool and vanity for running water. The next couple of construction projects were additions to rentals and rehabs of properties. I guess I was a good learner because we found the land for this house and started construction while DH was working 12 hours and I was off for the summer.

DH would lay out a wall and go to bed. The next day I would assemble the wall and we'd stand it up when he got off work. Then there was only time to lay out another wall before bedtime. From time to time my father - also off for the summer - got away from Mom's long todo list and came out to help, but I cut and nailed most of the walls myself. Love this house!

We lived in the basement for two years before the main floor was livable. It took another whole summer to set the bricks as that year we had rain 19 out of 21 weekends and DH was still on 12 hours so weekends were mostly our only work time - I make no claim on laying bricks other than I can whip up a mean batch of mortar.

Yup! I love this place and all of my "musings" are tied to something that needs doing right here, with DH, on our piece of Heaven.

AND, I haven't even mentioned the black gold - rich black soil at least 4 feet deep - that covers this spot. Could not have found a better place. I always told DH I'd sell my soul for 40 acres and water. Instead I have 30 acres, the promise of a pond, and still have my soul intact. Perfect, huh?

Love, Smart Red

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
How wonderful these places all are......This is one of my favorite places to be and let my mind go blank...(which is very easy for me):p.....This is my view off the back deck of the house.....
7566_october_2008_060.jpg
From the deck to the tree line on the horizon is 14 miles....