Looking for a "hard to find chicken" for your flock?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
:thumbsup I've finally decided on buckeyes for a breed to work with. I know I can get them from Meyer Hatchery in OH, near here. But I wanted more sources to try to get the best stock I can afford to start with. Gotta love the internet. I don't know how I ever got by without it!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mother failed me . . .

I have been curious about the availability of some "cross-breeds" - notably, the Austra-White (Australorp/White Leghorn).

Typed in "Austra-White" and got A) a hatchery in Alaska that sells them but only in-state and, B) some information on them but no birds to sell, on another site.

The only place that I know to buy this cross-breed is Dunlap Hatchery in Caldwell, Idaho. Oddly, Dunlap isn't on Mother's list. They also don't have Lazy 54 Farm. It doesn't much matter to me. I go waaay back when it was Shanks Hatchery. So . . . I guess one can't rely too much on Mother.

And, what happened to Privett Hatchery? I had thought that was a place to find California Grays, among others. Their online presence seems to be gone! Harder & Phinney hatcheries in WA State went out of business last year, as best as I know. What's the deal - is there some kind of evil consolidation going on in the hatchery industry? I know . . . sure there is :rolleyes:.

I remember delivering the newspaper to a hatchery when I was a kid. It was absolutely the neatest, cleanest farmyard I had ever seen. They went out of business while I was still delivering the paper. Ah well, probably don't even get newspaper delivery out there anymore :/!

Steve

Latest posts