Looking for canner reccs. please! (also recipes/books/website reccs)

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi there- It's been years since I've grown a garden or canned- but we're working diligently on planting to see what we can grow well, and want to can as much as I can.
In the past, I've only canned tomatoes and pickles, so I only needed a water bath canner.

I know I need something else ( steam or pressure canner?) for less acidic foods- and I'm looking for recommendations ( as is one of the women I work with-- I told her I'd pass along whatever I could find out!!)
What works for you? I'm looking for what you think works well and why (brands, etc) where you got it, or have seen it and approx. price. Any or all of the info is just fine- I'm just gathering info and researching-- I know I've got a bit of time before I need to buy one, but want to look at all possibilities- and want to watch for good deals- either at brick and mortar stores, online retailers or ebay, etc.

Another question I have-- I know the water bath canner can't be used as a steam/pressure canner---- but if I get the steam/pressure canner, do I also need a water bath canner or is the one enough?

I am also in recipe sources!!!!! ( good books, websites-- any reccs. would be appreciated!)

nccountrygirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Balls Blue Book Of Canning is about the best out there. You can pick it up at WalMart.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I disagree with you country girl. Blue Ball IS the best!! :lol:

I can't can with out it. (I actually have 2 copies just in case)

MsMagnolia

Leafing Out
Reaction score
NurseNettie:

The Cadillac of canners: All American
http://www.allamericanpressurecookers.com/
http://www.goodmans.net/get_list_102.htm
Manufacturer's Site: http://www.wafco.com/

Years ago, I bought my 21 1/2-quart All American directly from the manufacturer.

I also have a 12-quart Mirro that I bought in the 70s.

Wal Mart sells canning supplies during canning season (the Web site lists only two Presto canners). Do a Google search for the brand you're interested in buying and for the best price. Also, check eBay . . . ASK all pertinent questions BEFORE buying, otherwise you may end up with a flower pot. :ep Oh, and don't forget your local hardware stores, garage sales, flea markets, and Goodwill. Should you buy a used canner, make sure you can buy replacement parts, especially handles. I couldn't replace my vintage 70s 6-quart Presto handle. IMPORTANT: Make sure the bottom isn't warped.

Lehman's is a very reputable retailer for hard to find items that I've done business with repeatedly and highly recommend. Their garden hoes -- available in three different sizes are superb -- the best hoes I've ever owned. Call or E-mail them for a free catalog.

Any large pot w/lid and a canning rack will serve as a water bath canner. Just make sure the jars are sufficiently covered with water. Canning racks can be bought separately. If using a canner for water bath canning, remove the seal (gasket) and pressure regulator, and set the lid ajar if necessary. Years ago, I did water bath canning using a large pot/lid without a rack and put tea/hand towels on the inside bottom of the pot to guard against breakage. I've improvised many times because of necessity. :gig

One last thing, Nettie. If you have a glass-top range, be sure that a heavy canner can be used on it.

Good luck!

Evelyn

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
MsMagnolia-- thanks for the great advice!! We've got a propane gas stove, so no glass to worry about!!!! I'll be checking out yard sales, flea markets, etc all summer too, and price shopping!