Looking for green bean canning tips....

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I want to can green beans for the year. I know I need to get a pressure canner. So can I get your recipe for these. I want them as plain as possible so I can use them in everything.

Please be specific about timing. Thanks!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
April, I really suggest you get the Ball book on canning. It's probably the best there is. Everybody calls it the blue book but mine's yellow. But definitely get the Ball book. It explains things really well.

This is a decent guide to follow if you don't get the book.

http://www.simplycanning.com/canning-green-beans.html

I prefer the hot pack method. The key points are how to prepare them. Boil them for 5 minutes before packing them. Fill to within 1" of head space. I use a plastic knife to release the air bubbles then refill with the hot water you cooked them back to the 1" headspace. Adding a 1/2 teaspoon of salt to pints or 1 teaspoon to quarts is optional.

I do pints so I process for 20 minutes. Before I start the processing I let if go for ten minutes with steam coming out of the vent, then put the rocker on. I use a gauge and I'm at 1,100 feet elevation, so I use 11 pounds pressure. Some people use a weighted rocker. Which weight depends on your elevation.

If you get a new pressure canner, it should have basic instructions with it. If you don't get a new one, the Ball book can really help.

Good luck!!!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh yes, Ball canning book is awesome! I keep a copy in my office, and one in the kitchen. :D

I do find the trick with green beans to give them a quick blanch before canning them. They don't get too mushy when I do that. :)

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
vfem said:
Oh yes, Ball canning book is awesome! I keep a copy in my office, and one in the kitchen. :D

I do find the trick with green beans to give them a quick blanch before canning them. They don't get too mushy when I do that. :)
Then are they still hot when you put them in the jars, and how long do you process them for? I have a problem with mushy.

Latest posts