Lots of blooms, but no tomatos

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Did I read somewhere on here that if it is windy and cooling down at night that the tomato plants won't set fruit? :/ If so, I think that MIGHT be my problem. It has been really windy here these last 3-4 days, but has been staying in the mid 50's to low 60's at night. It is currently 12:30 a.m. and still 70F outside. I've got lots of blooms, but not one tomato on most of my plants. My Black Russian has only one mishappened but huge tomato on it and lots and lots of blooms. I have 2 plants that are an early variety for Oregon, which is where I live, and these are loaded with fruits. That leaves at least ten plants with not one tomato on them but still lots of blooms. Am I just being too impatient? Here it is the middle of July already and no tomatos. I do have my tomato bed where I can easily throw plastic sheeting over it all for a makeshift greenhouse to hopefully lengthen my growing season more into October or November.

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well, I have the same problem here, but I think it's little buggers. Oakland (the tomato king!)suggested I go out to the garden with a white piece of paper, hold it under some leaves, and shake the plant. Sure enough, some little bug critters dropped off onto the paper. Give that a try first to see if that might be your issue.

My early variety (Stupice) set fruit early, as did a couple of my other varieties. All of a sudden, there's no new fruit being set, other than the occasional fruit on the Stupice. I've been spraying the pepper/onion/garlic/soap spray, plus hosing off the plants from time to time.

So, depending on what you find out there, it may be a combination of things causing your issues. What varieties do you have? Which ones have tomatoes and which do not?

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have been having the same problem. I am in Oregon as well. I set out my Tom plants in late April under a cloche thinking-ahaaa-early tom for me. No such luck, With our wet may and June(cold as well) they have grown but not set any fruit. I don't have bugs and just added some lime. We have had such fluctuations in the weather here. Some nights in the 50's and some days in the 90's. I think the tomatoes done' know what to do. :th

This may be the year of no tomatoes-or not many any way. Last year I was really late and set out my toms the first of July. (plants that is) They did great. Grew huge and I had tons of Toms by Sept.

This year I set out 15 plants, many I was really excited about as they were heirloom varieties that I have never grown.

I am hoping we have a late summer. Some years we have had nice weather into October.

:rainbow-sun

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I do not know how generally true this is, but the heirloom type varieties I've grown have mostly been long-season rather late types that just do not start setting fruit as early in the year as, say, Early Girl.

No idea whether that accounts for peoples' problems on this thread, just an observation.

Pat, with Early Girls starting to set respectible amounts of (still small, still green) fruit, 1 truss forming on Black Russian, and nothing but flowers yet from Marmande.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I grow heirloom cherry & pear types, because they are fairly reliable at fruiting in our cool maritime climate. I am also having some luck with the tiger-stripes, in terms of early fruit. I currently have a first blush of tomatoes (only the cherries are ripening) and seemingly no more coming for a while.

In better news, it seems to be a good year for apples!

rebeccakee

Sprout
Reaction score
I am also having this problem. Tons of flowers no fruit. ead to snip off some of the flowers. Any one know if this is a bad idea?

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So, my first thought is that it may just be getting too cold at night. Tomatoes prefer growing temps between 60-80 degrees most of the time and at least 8 hours of direct sunlight a day (10 would be best).

The main reasons tomatoes don't set are: temps over 70 or under 55 degrees at night and temps over 90 during the day (as well as huge temp fluctuations), inconsistent watering, too much nitrogen, thrips, aphids and very windy conditions.

Are the vines very long and do the plants look thin? Any signs of pests as Backyard Buddies suggested?

There may be some other problems but these are the main ones.

Also, Pat makes a good point as far as late and heirloom varieties setting fruit much later. Usually my Brandywines start at the same time as my Early Girls but they are usually over achievers anyway.

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
There are no signs of bugs other than pollinators. All of them are various heirloom varieties. I do have one tiger stripe at the back, but still no fruit on it either. The plants all look healthy. I'm gonna monitor the soil moisture religiously well and water accordingly. I just fertilized them with a little commercial tomato food for the second time. The first time was about 2 weeks after initial planting out in the garden. I have also at the same time as fertilizing worked egg shells into the soil around them. I'm sorry to say this, but I'm glad that others in the PNW are having similar problems. At least I don't feel all alone in this and might not be the only one to NOT get any tomatos this year. Sorry guys, but misery loves company you know. :bouquet

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Soil temp is key especially with tomatoes.

I know many folks out there use commercially available red plastic to mulch their tomatoes with. This may be your solution.

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
don't you have to use that before you actually plant the tomatos? I can't figure out how I'd get it around them at this stage. The plants are big and tall, otherwise looking very healthy. I'm just gonna be sitting here like this....:fl and hoping for the best.

Latest posts