lots of eggs

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Keep it up, folks! I need lots of ideas for using eggs. I, too, and currently awash in eggs. Pick this as a good time for DH to decide he wants to eat breakfast out every morning! I can make a better breakfast cheaper, for sure. That was the way I managed to use up my eggs earlier -- with a few now and then for the kids.

I suspect he thinks he is sparing me from having to cook every morning, but I honestly prefer making breakfast at home.

I've decided to make LOTS of potato salad for a Memorial Day picnic and some deviled eggs as well. That will make a small dent in my current supply. Hum, maybe a custard dessert for supper?

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Dew is selling every extra egg we get. Sometimes I feel lucky to find any in the fridge! We really need a few dozen more layers just to keep up with her egg orders. Who would have thought fresh eggs would sell so well? :idunno

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@MontyJ To answer that question. City Folk that finally get to taste the difference. :) And to those that used to have there own chickens and can't stand store eggs. :)

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Maybe Carol but...we live in the country! All I know is we can't keep eggs. Granted, we only have 12 hens, but Dew often has back orders several dozen deep. I know if we had 4 dozen hens, she could sell every egg. Maybe I'm in the wrong business.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My favorite pie recipe. Lemon Chess Pie. This uses lots of eggs!

Lemon Chess Pie is a HEALTH FOOD!! Lemons are FRUIT! Sugar comes from sugar BEETS which are VEGETABLES!! BUTTER is concentrated COW JUICE!! EGGS are full of CHOLINE and are GOOD for you!! FLOUR in the pie shell is GRAIN!! So Lemon Chess Pie is loaded with GRAIN, DAIRY, FRUIT and VEGETABLES, only thing missing is MEAT or FISH. So eat your pie with a good STEAK and you'll be just fine! :gig

Pie Crust
1/2 cup Crisco
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup ice water

Sift flour and salt together. Cut shortening into flour with pastry blender or using 2 knives. Gradually add ice water, a little at a time, using just enough to make it hold together. The less water, the tenderer the pastry. (I must be a miserable failure, because I always have to add MORE water than what the recipe says) Chill for 20 minutes. Knead lightly on a floured surface. Roll thin. Place dough in greased pie plate, pressing out air bubbles. Turn under edges and flute the edge. Makes 2 pie shells or 1 double crust pie.

Lemon Chess Pie

1/2 cup butter
Juice of 3 lemons
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon of grated lemon rind
1 tablespoon flour
1 pie shell, unbaked (or 2 cheepie frozen pie shells)
5 eggs, well beaten

Cream butter and sugar. Add flour, then well beaten eggs. Add lemon juice and rind. Mix well and pour into pie shell. Bake at 325F for 30 to 40 minutes until golden brown and set.

Latest posts