lots of snow lots of water. Best way to do yard clean up?!

Faith.M

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi I am looking for tips on cleaning up our yard. We have lived on our farm for 2 years and this year we have had a whole heck of a lot of snow. Its still pretty chilly out but I am desperate to clean up. I have two dogs and there is poop everywhere (no I dont clean up in -30 and 2ft or more snow.) What is my best way of attacking this?! I have two weeks till my parents come to visit from the UK

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can you rent a snow blower? Still takes some shovelling, but should be able to get some of it.

For cleanup in the snow and cold...that one's tough!

Really, how much snow is it, and how cold is it? Is it above freezing in the sun?

Might just want to leave it as pristine snow with shovelled driveway and walkways.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I always seem to end up dragging a hose out even after doing the shovel work when the neighborhood dogs visit the front yard.

If the snow is melted maybe adding to that snow meltwater out there hosing it in one direction would be an answer.

I wouldn't want to be downstream but I wouldn't want to be downstream from Marshall's snow blower if it is snow & poop, either!

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good point Digit. After the snow blower idea, I thought of the pristine snow idea, with just the necessary areas shoveled. I think that's a better plan. After all, those piles of snow are kind of ugly, get dirty, and do not melt as fast as if it had just been left alone. They have their purposes for driveways and parking lots, but are not designed for beauty.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I feel your pain... every spring I go through the same thing (three dogs here and plenty of snow and cold!) I am not much of a gadget gal, but the one thing I really find is worth the investment is the claw type pooper scooper. I use a bird seed bag and spend sometime in my muck boots picking it up. There is a point when the poop is frozen down into the snow- and you really can't get it picked up. Hopefully, you are not at that stage in the season! Good luck!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
UGH, that reminds me our yard is long overdue for a poop clearing. No one bothers all winter. Now it has rained for a week and hard. Thawed and soggy poop is not easy to pick up. The hose can only do so much. :( Much easier to clear when dry or even frozen! Sure wish DH had trained him to use ONE spot and not ALL over the yard. Yuck. :sick

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
There used to be this gizmo that looked sorta like those 4-footed walking canes. You attached the 'handle' end to your garden hose and put the 'foot' end over a pile of doggie doo. A blast of water and the poo disappears into the ground...
Never tried it myself but with 3 dogs in the yard... and the yard getting smaller and smaller each summer (chickens, garden, who know what's next) I might have to try and find one.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
:sick I too feel your pain. With 3 good size dogs, when the snow starts to melt...oh my! We usually get out there and rake it after the snow melts. That is tough to do when you still have snow however. In your case, I would maybe take a wheelbarrel and shovel it in. Take some snow with it and then go dump it in some inconspicuos place.

Hope you visit with your parents is amazing!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I second Stubborns idea. Wheelbarrow and shovel. Then train those dogs to one potty spot! :lol:

I've been spoiled by having a dog that does his business out in the woods, and in 10 years I have rarely run across a pile. But my new dog just sort of drops wherever it suits her, which is all over. I got her in December, and wasn't real enthusiastic about standing over her and training her to one spot in the snow and cold, so now that I think I've cleaned up all her contributions, I'm starting to train her to a potty area. She sort of gets it....:/

Of course that is a lot harder if they are outside all the time dogs....:)

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
With our new house we're planning on putting up some very short decorative fencing and creating an area for them to handle their business. So at least the yard isn't turned into a minefield. The border should help give the dog(s) a visual as to where they can go too.

Also planning on adding Doole-3000 which is an in-ground K9 waste disposal system. Its like a 5 gallon septic tank for dog waste. I've never used one but its gotten very good reviews online. There is also the 2000 model but its plastic and for a few dollars more I can get the galvanized one.

Plan on lining the sides 1/2 way up the tank with pea gravel, and digging and extra 12-18" to also put down pea gravel to increase drainage below the tank so it the tank sits on that bed of gravel. Still have to scoop but hoping in a more confined area and with a disposal unit there it should keep the issue to a minimum.