Lupins and Aphids!!!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Holy Aphids! I just went out to snap a photo of my lupins, and discovered they are covered in aphids. I have never seen such an infestation. I have an organic spray (made from mums) which I applied the minute I discovered them. Any other ideas? My beautiful rose bush is only 10 feet away-hoping to stop them from traveling. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks...

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I use a pesticide soap spray for aphids and they work great.

I had a BAD infestation on my coneflowers, then I noticed those little black and red alligator looking bugs and realized they were ladybug larva.... so I didn't spray the other day. Now I have 4-5 lady bugs left on the plant last I looked.... but I don't see any aphids left anymore?! Nature is amazing!!!!!!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lesa, your spray must be pyrethrum.

I will use this bug killer for aphids in the greenhouse since insecticidal soap doesn't work well for me in there. However, once the plants are outdoors - the soap is a better choice.

Soap dehydrates soft bodied bugs. I suppose the the humidity of a greenhouse interferes with this process and aphids tend to survive.

Wait until near sundown. Your humidity should be at its lowest and there's less chance of sunlight burning the plants once they have been sprayed. You can wash them off with water in the morning, if you want.

I don't know why pyrethrum works poorly on aphids for me. I use it for other pests and am happy with the results. But, insecticidal soap takes care of the aphid problems ;).

Steve

Latest posts