Made home-made carrot seed tapes

Liberty7

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm going to be planting carrots in an 8 ft. x 3 ft. section of the garden. To make it easier to deal with those teeny tiny carrot seeds and not have to worry about thinning later, I made these seed tapes. By the way, you can use the same method with a lot of different seeds.

Cut 1" wide strips of newspaper (black & white ONLY.)

Make a paste from flour and water. I made mine about the consistency of like a medium-thin gravy.

I put a yard stick on the kitchen counter and then positioned one or two of the newspaper strips next to the ruler to get the spacing of 3 inches per seed (which is the spacing after thinning.)

Using a toothpick, I put a little drop of the 'paste' every three inches; and, using the sticky toothpick picked up individual seeds and put it in the center of each paste drop.

It didn't take long for them to dry; and, the 'paste' dries clear.

I also made some radish seed tapes, too.

dipence71

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Liberty7 said:
I'm going to be planting carrots in an 8 ft. x 3 ft. section of the garden. To make it easier to deal with those teeny tiny carrot seeds and not have to worry about thinning later, I made these seed tapes. By the way, you can use the same method with a lot of different seeds.

Cut 1" wide strips of newspaper (black & white ONLY.)

Make a paste from flour and water. I made mine about the consistency of like a medium-thin gravy.

I put a yard stick on the kitchen counter and then positioned one or two of the newspaper strips next to the ruler to get the spacing of 3 inches per seed (which is the spacing after thinning.)

Using a toothpick, I put a little drop of the 'paste' every three inches; and, using the sticky toothpick picked up individual seeds and put it in the center of each paste drop.

It didn't take long for them to dry; and, the 'paste' dries clear.

I also made some radish seed tapes, too.
Awesome!!!!! I purchased a carrot and radish one this year but after ate all the radishes got regular seeds and just planted but I will remember this for next time.

THANK YOU!!!!!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
HEY! I saw these for sale in the seed catalogues over the winter. I talked myself out of buying them since I already had those kinds of seeds.

Now I know I will have something to do and make next winter. What a good idea to prepare for spring!!!

(P.s. - While planting do you position the seeds so they are on top, or on the bottom of the paper? Or does it even matter?)

cherokeechicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
hey, this method would work for those tiny flower seeds like poppys. i will have to give this a try. thanks for the ideal.

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:ya Way Cool Liberty. :clap Like vfem says Great Idea to prepare over the winter for next spring :clap And as cherokee chick says this will work Great for those small tiny flower seeds. :woot Hey maybe even make your own seeding flower mats, :watering I think I will give that a try :coolsun

Great info gals :thumbsup Thanks

:happy_flower Karan :D

Liberty7

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
vfem said:
HEY! I saw these for sale in the seed catalogues over the winter. I talked myself out of buying them since I already had those kinds of seeds.

Now I know I will have something to do and make next winter. What a good idea to prepare for spring!!!

(P.s. - While planting do you position the seeds so they are on top, or on the bottom of the paper? Or does it even matter?)
For planting, position the seed tapes with the seeds facing UP.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is an excellent idea!

Have I shared this? Fluid Seeding - CSU I found it helpful but probably not in the way the author intended. Over 3 seasons, a simplified approach evolved in my garden.

First of all, presprouting the seed didn't work for me. Planting really early didn't either.

I just make the cornstarch gel, run a "bead" at the proper depth in the soil, and sprinkle on the seed.

I did use strips of paper towels, somewhat in the way you have described, Liberty. But, then I got the things stuck to me during construction :p, realized that I had many feet of row to plant :/, and got lazy :rolleyes:.

What was especially, especially important to me was keeping the seed moist while it was germinating. Carrots take a long time to start growing and they are sown very shallow. I've had lots of trouble with poor germination over the years. Another remedy for this is pelleted seed where the seed company coats the seed with a clay mixture. It is nice to know, we can do some of these same sorts of things in our homes, with broader choice of varieties, and good results!

Steve

Latest posts