Made out your 2016 lists yet?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
my dh is going to yell at me. i just put in an order with Baker's Creek. i put in my order for the Whole Seed Catalog for this year. :drool can't wait for that to arrive. i got seeds too:
Love Lies Bleeding Red Amaranth
Dragon's Egg Cucumber
Ancash Market Cucumber
Morris Heading Collards
Harer Chhole Green Garbanzo/Chickpea
Good Mother Stallard Bean (pole)
Monachelle di Trevio Bean (pole)
Zlata Radish
Malaga Radish
Pusa Gulabi and Pusa Jamuni radishes

and this is just the newest addition to my stash of seeds. i suppose my dh won't yell too loudly, i didn't get any more varieties of tomatoes! :lol:

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hard to say. I don't usually make a list at any specific season (as far as I am concerned, you get the seed you want when you can, and put it away if it isn't time to plant it yet. Seems better to me that waiting and risking it selling out beforehand)

That being said there are some things I am contemplating

Baker Creek

Russian Netted Cucumber

Siamese Giant Cucumber

Round Kiwano

Ricter's Seed Zoo

Avakli Cowpea (have tried before and it does well for me, but lost my reserve seed supply so need to replace) Pretty fast growing cowpea, so good for a northern clime like mine.

Cynthia Bean (new cowpea(it looks like it might be a mottled eye cowpea) that might be similar to (and hence a good supplement for), my Owl's eye cowpeas (while I have a good hadful for this year, the amount of them the critters tend to eat in the garden makes me apprehensive as to the long term viability of them without being able to occasionally give the population a re-infusion, and with the source for those dried up, such a re-infusion will have to come from somewhere else.

Trade Winds Fruit
Ocinum micanthrum- Peruvian Basil
Stelechocarpus burahol (always wanted this tree)
Telefaria Pendata (again would love to play around with Oyster Nuts)

Was going to try for some Delano Green tomatoes from Joe Simcox's store but he seems to have run out, so I guess that's tabled for now

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Chickie'sMomaInNH , I grew Good Mother Stallard two years ago. It's a really pretty bean with a creamy texture (good for soup and such) and they were really heavy bearers for me. I think you'll really like them. I wish we had initiated a seed train on here this year (still can, but running out of time). I could have sent you some for free or trade!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'd still love to get a seed train going, or at least some trades. i have lots of different tomato seeds in my collection an i won't be using all the seeds that are in the packs. so i'd like to trade for others if i don't have them in my collection.

i have plenty of Glass Gem corn to share for anyone looking.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll really have to wrack my memory to compile a list, though it's much easier than most folks' are because I stick to simple things and some I don't even care about the name/type of them.

Tomatoes~Brandywine, Pruden's Purple, Romas, Sweet One Millions
Corn~Ambrosia
Beans~half runners
Peas~sugar snap
Cukes~Boston Picklers
Celery~two different varieties
Broccoli~ can't remember what I chose but there are two kinds.
Hot peppers~jalapeno, Hungarian Wax
Sweet Peppers~Rainbow mix
Squash~yellow str. neck,spaghetti
Strawberries~not sure of the kind.
Pumpkins/winter squash~Rouge Vif D'Etampes, butternut
Melons~Moon and Stars, Crimson sweets, cantaloupe
Onions~Candy
Garlic~whatever that was I bought at the store
Herbs~parsley, cilantro, dill, lavender, chamomile, basil, chives and whatever else I find before now and then.
greens~various romaines, spinach, buttercrunch, kale, beets, and whatever else I find that I might like to try on the cheap seed racks.
Asparagus~can't remember the names but plain and purple
Carrots~Nantes, atomic reds, purple
Radishes~whatever I find, whatever I have
Rhubarb~most likely Canadian Red like the one I already have
Taters~Red Pontiac, Kennebec, a few Yukon Gold are already in the ground and whatever I find this spring I may like to stick in the compost bin.
flowers~borage, nasturtium, flax, calendula, marigolds, honeysuckle, impatiens, Black-eyed Susan, various and sundry wild flowers, black oil sunflowers, and whatever grabs my fancy as I walk past the seed racks.

I think that's all but I can't be for sure. If I see an empty space I may very well stick something else in there or if I walk past a seed rack I may see something I've always wanted to try and stick that in there too.

I'll be trellising a lot of the pumpkins, melons, etc. so I can get more space in the garden and so they won't climb the garden fence and wreck my fencing.

Last edited:

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm wondering if a person can't plant some sugar snap peas in the late summer for a fall/winter harvest? If they were under the plastic tunnels by hard frost, would they bear peas in the fall and winter?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My late-planted peas slow to a crawl and I don't think I'm talking about vining.

Frost destroys blossoms even if leaves and pods survive. Hanging there, through days with near zero growth and cold nights, pods toughen.

I once tried Austrian field peas as a cover crop. This was when sub-zero could be almost counted on. I remember figuring that about 10% of the peas survived.

Life would be different for them under plastic but peas are fairly susceptible to mildew.

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
My "under plastic" experiment with peas involved more of a hoop house than a small hoop enclosure. I could walk inside the hoop to care for them and don't remember a mildew problem. I could see it being a problem with less air space around the plants, though.

Latest posts