Made out your 2016 lists yet?

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've just about finished making out mine, so far ....

Beans
Aeron Purple Star (runner)
Aunt Mary's Meat (pole)
Barksdale (wax pole)
Barry Island (pole)
Bird Egg#3 (pole)
Black Seeded Yard Long (pole)
Candy (bush)
Cherokee Trail of Tears (pole, either the black seeded or white seeded)
Emilia's Italian (pole)
Irish Conners (pole)
Lazy Wife (pole, the original)
Mennonite Purple Stripe (pole)
Sicitalian Black Swamp (pole)
Steeves' Caseknife (pole)
Tanya's Pink Pod (bush)
Witsa and another one from Russ's list (pole)

Tomatoes
Cherokee Purple
Celebrity
Goldman's Italian American
Rio Fugo
Cherokee Green Grape (cherry)
Yellow Pear (cherry)
Rinaldo
Black Opal (cherry)
Indigo Rose (cherry)
Cheerio (cherry)

Other Vegetables
Sea Kale
Kelsae Onions
Skirret
Diva and Sweet Success Cucumbers
Yacon
Oca
Crosne

Fruit
Tulameen Raspberries
British Sovereign Strawberries
Actinidia kolomikta fruit (Kiwi the size of a grape)

Other than the fruit some of these might change as it gets closer to my growing season, so hard what to choose when you have a small garden, I need to invest in some sky hooks LOL. Anyone trying something new, something they haven't grown before?
Annette

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh man, I am still working on mine. It is quite the undertaking. I think I am going to eliminate winter squash from my usual line-up this year since they take up so much room. I'd rather just buy a couple pumpkins. I've still got pumpkins in the house taunting me that they need to be used up soon. :confused: I'll need most of the room in the big garden for lots of beans and tomatoes and peppers. I am going to do some watermelon and cantaloupe around my corn patch. Most everything else will be squeezed and rotated through my 3 raised beds. Maybe this will make things easier for me to mulch and weed too. I am looking at somewhere around 40 beans this year too, but I am pretty clear on which ones I need to plant. Just need to organize them into boxes to make planting simpler. I need to make a list of varieties as you have done. Sometimes I am not as organized as I need to be.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
LOL, last year I planted 45 different varieties of beans, mind you some were only samples in tubs, but when seed needs renewing you have to do what you have to do. I'm trying to keep it down this year, not having much luck tho... another one keeps sneaking in :rolleyes:.
Annette

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Skirret?
Crosne?

Goldman's Italian American - Goldman doesn't sound Italian ..?
Rio Fugo - need to check on this one!
Rinaldo - ditto!

I've completed 2 of X number of seed orders! Must finish Stokes soon! Once, they took 3 weeks but in recent years have notified me of the shipping my order in less than 3 days. Still ... I'll need some of that seed by March 1!

I'll be back -- my creativity begins to blossom as I finally get through the must haves in the first few orders :D.

Steve

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Skirret?
Crosne?
Goldman's Italian American
- Goldman doesn't sound Italian ..?
Rio Fugo - need to check on this one!
Rinaldo - ditto!

I've completed 2 of X number of seed orders! Must finish Stokes soon! Once, they took 3 weeks but in recent years have notified me of the shipping my order in less than 3 days. Still ... I'll need some of that seed by March 1!

I'll be back -- my creativity begins to blossom as I finally get through the must haves in the first few orders :D.

Steve
Quicker to give you links on some of these then me fumbling around with descriptions :).
Goldman's Italian American Tomato, I've been growing this for a couple of years, tasty and looks pretty on a plate with those pleated edges.
http://www.rareseeds.com/goldmans-italian-american-tomato/

Skirret
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardenin...28/Skirret-the-forgotten-Tudor-vegetable.html
It will be a couple of years before I get to harvest any of this perennial vegetable so haven't tasted it yet.

Crosne
http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-a-crosne.htm
Looks like a little grub, something you might step on if you didn't know what you were seeing LOL. So far I've only used them in salads.

Rio Fuego is the proper spelling, This is a very firm tomato, a good paste type but I really like it in a Greek salad.
Annette

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That was very educational. :) Says skirret blooms attract lacewings. Would be worth putting some in along with the marigolds and such.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
....and here's a bit on Rinaldo, I first bought this seed from The Sample Seed Shop, it's a lovely plum tomato, great flavor at least for me.I have Ernesto too but not growing it this year. I save my own tomato seed each year with the exception of the hybrid Celebrity.
http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Rinaldo
Annette

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is why you are potting up to gallon containers, Annette.

You have some mighty late-maturing tomato varieties for being so far into the North Country!

Good for you.

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I made my orders and got at least one ship confirmation. It is so hard not to order EVERYTHING! I am planting vining plants this year, since I now have room. I am planting melons, watermelons, pumpkins and winter squash.

Latest posts