Made some bread ```

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
OK 2nd try at making Madnakash ( push with fingers ) it's raising now the second time ```

It has to feel a certain way ~ smell just right ~ taste just ``` Last time I had it ~ we were in Yerevan ~ use to buy three loafs ~ each morning ~ ` one morning I went into pick up the loafs for the day ~ looked in the glass counter ~ there were none of that particular bread ~ my shoulders fell ~ the sweet lady behind the counter ~ held up her index finger and winked ~ she had put three loafs away for my coming ~ bless her ```

Well ~ we'll see ~ it's a wet dough ~ just at the point ~ where with olive oil ~ on your hand ~ it can be balled without sticking ~ this time I'll spread it ~ like a ~ typical loaf ```

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
sorry ~ didn't wait ~ broke of the corner ~ and ate it ~ before thinking of pictures ~ didn't even cool it ~ next time ~ didn't furrow the bread top ~ again ~ next time ```

It's a nice bread ~ not exactly ~ like a Yerevan bakery loaf ~ but nice ~ texture similar to French ~ again not exact ```

We'll see what Yerazel thinks ```
IMG_0808.JPG
IMG_0809.JPG
IMG_0810.JPG
IMG_0811.JPG

Well there we have it ~ the sour dough is slight ~ when the bread cools ~ I expect it to be more pronounced ```

I'll pour a glass of wine, some olives and cheese with yours ```

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Crazy Lady bought me a bread machine. Didn't taste right and tried many recipes. Not sure what it was. Broke that and got a second. Tore the pan up on that one and got a third. They all taste the same.

Bought a kitchenaid mixer with a dough hook and gave the bread machines away. Using the same bread machine recipe mixed in the kitchenaid in a cast iron dutch oven coated with pig grease. I'm happy now. Guessing the Teflon coated aluminum bread machine pans were doing something that the cast iron and pig grease weren't doing. I also coat the dutch oven with corn meal over the oil to keep the bread from sticking. Kind of like the pizza dough cookers do. Works like a charm. Usually the dough falls right out. If the dough was a bit wet going in, you have to coax it out of the pan.

Real butter. Honey or jam. Hot bread, fresh out of the oven. Mmmm!

I try to only cook it when the kids are home to help me eat it. Otherwise, it disappears too quick.
Mybread machine has tons of delicious recipes. Since I switched to spelt flour I just use it for prep and then back it in the oven-it overdid the spelt.

RUNuts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just picked up 2 pounds of spelt. On clearance! Really liked what it did the last time we had some. I bought it before knowing that it wasn't gluten free. More for me! Nice nutty flavor.

When making French bread, I'll use 1 cup whole wheat (or spelt or Ezekiel mix) and 2 cups bread flour. A little heavier, but the flavor! The Ezekiel mix in banana nut bread was fantastic. Need to make some of that. Again. I'm out.

RUNuts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Different grain flour for a different taste. Your loaf looks like bleached bread flour. Light, fluffy and melt in your mouth good.

Spelt is an older wheat. Not as selectively bred. Lower gluten content. Search for it.

Ezekiel flour is supposed to supply all the amino acids required for humans. It is a mix of pea, grain and something else flours to provide all the nutrition. Again, search for it. I'm not explaining it well this late.

The result is a heavier, nuttier flavored loaf. Not as sharp flavored as rye or pumpernickel. I guess my point it, there is more to bread making than just straight wheat flour.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just picked up 2 pounds of spelt. On clearance! Really liked what it did the last time we had some. I bought it before knowing that it wasn't gluten free. More for me! Nice nutty flavor.

When making French bread, I'll use 1 cup whole wheat (or spelt or Ezekiel mix) and 2 cups bread flour. A little heavier, but the flavor! The Ezekiel mix in banana nut bread was fantastic. Need to make some of that. Again. I'm out.
I have read that it is gluten free and that it is not. However, many people I know can tolerate it regardless. It is considered an ancient grain that is easily digestible. I have used if for probably 10 years. Ever notice how many women, I guess men too, have that middle aged bloat at their midsection? I no longer get that. I also do not eat any dairy except for a bit of goat cheese now and again.

Latest posts