majors 2016 garden..

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's such a nice garden ...

I should have had chicory (escarole) for the greenhouse this winter.

Major', I used Austrian winter peas on a bed one year. I figured 90% of them died in the cold but it occurred to me years later and after the disappointment wore off that I'd added some very important nutrients in the form of the seeds ..! Since south of here is such an important dry pea growing country (mostly for export), I've wondered what I would pay for 50# bags. Yeah, I could put that on 1/4 acre.

If so much of my gardening wasn't where I can't be sure I'll show up after 6 months off, I'd be very inclined to go that cover crop route and just expect the winter kill.

Steve

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS' the dw canned twice as much this year she wants me to go home with her year summer for a week, so the game plan is to rebuild what raised beds that need it this spring and then start planting cover crops in them then till them in and repeat.

figure do a pea clover vetch mix first, then go more of a biomass crop for the summer, then do a winter cover mix...

for the main bed depending on the winter will till the clover in late spring and do the spring mix in there as well.

for course i will have the 2 smaller gardens going, it will be more of a selective planting next year.

have worked all the gardens really hard and have had wonderful harvests, figure it's time to repay the soil.....

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
You got frost before I did. Now that's weird. We've not even come close yet. A little on the late side, but October is not over yet.

Man, I wish I had my crap together like you do! Your fall garden looks great. Need one of these Nawtherners to get on the ball keeping good updates on a journal like you do so I get a heads up of what I should not be procrastinating on next.
rollingf.gif

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
i hope to get everything that was pressure washed put away this sunday...been procrastinating on doing this for the last 2 weeks:gig.....

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
11/5/16 update.....
what a wonderful day a bit chilly this morning, couple more degrees and we would had a very light frost...got my procrastinating butt into gear. have everything put away finally... picked the acorn squash the vines where dead so we have 15 of these little jewels and what was dried from the other weeks oregano harvest...
DSC_0004.JPG

so cleaned and seeded the last of the main garden..
DSC_0006.JPG

the peas are really trying to produce, only time will tell if we get any this late in the fall.
DSC_0009.JPG

the beds are still looking great we have had some great spinach, other wise holding off on picking anything till late next week.. dang you got to love the bluebird skies....
DSC_0012.JPG

heres why holding off on picking anything my dad and older brother are making a 2 stop trip.. late next week they both flying out to see brothers grandson and dads great grandson. and then driving down to see us for a couple days.... want to prepare some fresh veggies among other things while here.
so been busting my butt getting things in order for their visit...
all that is left is mowing the leafs and a little weed eating, got all the trash picked up<aka junk that been meaning to get rid of> ......

we are<ok> i am looking forward seeing them both..

Last edited:

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
update 12/10/16
today was our first taste of a Yankee vortex down to 16*....going to be chilly around here for the next couple days... whatever bring it on :love

finally after procrastinating for a week everyone was covered and protected...
DSC_0001.JPG

the only bed that i was truly worried about was the baby lettuce. dont mess with my December bok chio and escarole. if these 3 made it, no worry about uncovering the rest..
DSC_0006.JPG

December radishes...
DSC_0005.JPG

dw and dd want to the Christmas parade, my foot is still hurting so while out nola and i played ball for a bit.

look at that sexy girl sporting her new red collar. that tractor supply tennis ball lasted about 10 mins before it would not throw any longer..:lol:
DSC_0009.JPG

oh don't worry the carrots are doing just fine, just not ready for their winter photos yet...:frow

how are them supermarket prices for imported veggies up north? bet your doing a brisk sale on snow cones....:lol:
seriously stay safe up there.

Last edited:

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
not enough snow yet for a snow cone. tomorrow they are predicting the messy stuff starting & going into Monday morning commute (not looking forward to that up to 5" mess). i've already been complaining that someone needs to turn up the outside heater. and everyone at work this past week has been groaning about how cold the place has seemed-when you see some of the ladies i work with huddled in blankets & their winter coats & they are inside the building you know it's colder outside!

prices at the supermarkets haven't gone up too much. we do have some greenhouse growers in the area that sell at the farmers markets & those are expensive groceries. i was talking with the local hydroponics guru at the feedstore today and scratching my head at the costs for some of the set ups they have for 'growing closets' & special light systems. when he said that on average it adds about $75/month to the electric bill i nearly hit the floor! my seed starting setup doesn't even use that much energy-think mine only added about $10/mo to my bill. i'll stick to whats been working for me so far.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
:hide i have an ad blocker on my browser so i don't get to see a lot of the ads you do. but i did see an article on them recently. i think that is an awesome idea! i really like the vertical gardening combined with the hydroponics. it was something i saw as a 6 year old kid when i visited Epcot Center at Disney. still impresses me when i see some of the cheap setups. the guy at the store did mention a few things that growing plants that stay green & leafy are easy in those setups but stuff like tomatoes/peppers & ones you need to bloom to produce fruit are tougher to grow due to light requirements.

Latest posts