majors 2018 garden..

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
that was one wild storm it run all the way up the eastern us. dw family in ny they had 3" of rain and the monday night they got 1/4" of ice..... ds and roommates got power back on sometime late last night..

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
heres a photo from dw aunts house 15 minutes ago.... they just can't win
IMG_3353.JPG

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
20 minutes ago, i was getting drink of water at kitchen sink and looking out front window at deer standing on the driveway, as soon as i turned on the water it looked right at me. they do have those big ears for something... two others were off to the side on the grassy area that is left. i opened patio door and was talking loud so they'd go away, but they didn't really do anything until i barked like a dog.

i'll have to get the wrist rocket out again...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we have a lot of hunting around here and i'm sure there are some Bubba's in the mix.

always a lot of deer around. would have to fence the whole yard to keep them out and while we have pieces of fence here or there it's not completely enclosed. depends upon what we can scrounge up to use. the main veggie gardens are fenced to keep them out - they've not yet figured out they could probably jump over the gate if they wanted in there but it's pretty imposing and not much around there to attract them...

years ago we had a shorter fence and once in a while one would jump in.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry you have had a rocky start on some of your...starts. But those tomatoes look great!
They really got growing!

Mine seem to be frozen in time. I think the light might be a problem. If we ever had anything but cold wind and rain I'd take them out for a field trip in non-sunny but at least stronger natural light.

That New Yorker is really an above average achiever isn't it?

I think it is the light. I started mine same time as I have for the last couple of years and the pictures of my plants are so much different and I had them already outside in the greenhouse and putting in the shade during the day and pictures of kale, onions, cabbage and things in the sun. I am actually going to start a few today just to see if they will be stronger.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
4/21/18 update.....
today the children were planted.... with a lot of help of the dw....
kids sunning themselves waiting their turns...
DSC_0005.JPG

took awhile to line everyone up, but after that all it took was the post hole digger..
DSC_0009.JPG

planted all the mators, tied them up, dug a trench, side dressed, set the cages...
DSC_0012.JPG

after everyone was planted.. the tap was opened oh yes they loved getting their roots set and watered into their new home..
DSC_0018.JPG

tomorrow we are going to set up the green bean, cucumber,field pea trellis's .... we had a wonderful day playing in the garden, but we will pay for it in the morning..

Last edited:

Latest posts