majors 2020 garden....

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
well heres to the start of this years thread.....
all of my seeds from johnnys showed up today.
IMG_1131.JPG

just waiting on my phoenix tomatoes from tomato growers supply, should be here any day.
going to put the artichoke seeds in the fridge for a week<need to trick them into thinking they are 2 year olds and produce this season>. once ready going to give up the pea patch to plant them..fingers crossed this year.....

since the dw is working full time finally :ya going to scale back the gardens to more fresh eating and have been thinking about getting my feet wet and get a spot at the farmers market here in town< waiting to hear back from the town if they are going to do it > with what i have left over just to see if it would be worth my while to do the big market in greensboro...

still looking at getting cinder blocks for the raised bed area, looking around for bigger blocks than the common ones.. plus still need to get the tree down outside the beds area since it's sending tap roots into the beds.. as for the beds going to make them 12x4 and remove around 3 of the beds just to ease up on the time it takes to water..

missed out getting into the county bee class so my beekeeping idea has been put on hold, figure this will give me time to design flower beds around the property...

this weekend going to pull out all my cages and if any need welding will get them down to work and fix... hopefully we have a dry couple days need to do a quick till in the main garden to get rid of the winter weeds....

oh the life of a gardener......

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wait, you mean I should’ve put the artichoke seeds in the refrigerator? Now I have a 2 year wait? Phooey! I guess you can tell I haven’t grown them before. LOL

Congratulations on getting the garden started. It’s that time of year! For us anyway. LOL

Good luck with the tilling Major, if your soils as wet as mine, wear scuba gear Lol. You'll do great at the farmers market with the produce your garden puts out. You wont make millions, just enough to off set some cost, and you get to meet such ummmmm interesting people.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
since today was a nice day decided to fire up all the toys

mowers fired up still need to replace the carb on the mtd garden tractor....
fired up the mini cultivator, ran then die pull pull pull nothing drove down to advance picked up a new spark plug
still would ran then die, pulled the fuel filter from the tank, the fuel line snapped off in my hand, theres the problem drove back down to advance purchased new line....works like a champ again tested it out on the cinder block bed..
IMG_1141[1].JPG

on to the tiller it ran fine for a couple passes in the main garden and then it would die, start then die.
IMG_1140[1].JPG

back down to advance purchased a spark plug...nope no help. dw dad sent us this engine many years ago
but it's a tecumseh snow blower engine and it has never really worked right, have had a few repair shops work on it with no avail. have had enough of this engine time to put a b&s 7hp on the girl. so now trying to figure out the cross over...... need something i can depend on....

oh and yes thats snow on the right side of the photo......:plbb:plbb

I was wondering how much snow you guys got up that way. It was snowing like crazy when I went to bed Thursday night, got up Friday morning to just a little in the shaded areas....my kind of snow Lol.

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm so jealous....I can just hear the tiller running in my dreams!

Way too wet here to work soil....and the state of our tiller would horrify you, lol. It's older than I am, and in sore need of some TLC. There's also half a tiller dad salvaged from an older friend's estate that has all the parts ours needs, but he never got around to actually fixing it. I keep hinting about maybe getting a newer one that I can turn easily so I don't have to wait on him to till my garden, but he keeps insisting that his is better than anything they make and sell now, he just has to get it running again. The biggest reason I switched to raised beds is because after five years, I got tired of waiting!

Do you like using blocks as your bed edging? I just use wood, but the block would last a lot longer without needing to be replaced.

Latest posts