majors 2023 garden

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
7/23 update...
east and middle beds
the tropic mators really like the weave have had quite a few ripes so far, plus the green ones make delicious fried green mator
IMG_0720.JPG

the brussel sprouts the jury is still out whether we get any have been battling cabbage worms....
IMG_0719.JPG

the middle bed...
have been pampering it all season. did a soil test from <mysoil> got though amazon it's a mail in kit 29.95
results were interesting mostly perfect and a couple high only 2 were low they recommended nitrogen, sulfur.
friday picked everything up 5lbs blood meal, only needed 3 cups of sulfur. plus had a couple pounds of green sand so tossed in into the mix......ran the cultivator though it.
all this work to plant elephant garlic in September, been thinking about throwing in some hardneck garlic as well
IMG_0723.JPG

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
7/23 update..
the main beds..
finally pulled the celery it was more slugs than celery, this morning planted some more corn...
IMG_0739.JPG

so now have 3 beds of corn...
IMG_0725.JPG

the 2nd planting of the green beans are doing fine, have never replanting this time of the year.. this is a true experiment we i/dw/dogs do miss eating fresh green beans
IMG_0724.JPG

and there's the english cucumber "plant" churning out cucumbers every other day....
IMG_0731.JPG

and there's the squash plants...
wow I'm amazed this year, usually by this time of the season they are fried and done for... not this year.
the yellow squash had a hiccup thought it was toast so but is growing again really healthy and growing up and out..
IMG_0727.JPG

and then theres this years zucchini all i can say is OMG WHAT A PLANT...
thank goodness we like zucchini
IMG_0732.JPG

finally found the perfect one to just like grow...... no rhyme or reason just letting it grow...
IMG_0729.JPG

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
7/23 update...
the main garden..
I'm highly impressed with this years crop of "phoenix" mators. surly with pinching and trimming has helped greatly. wish i have the insight to plant later in the season...next year
IMG_0734.JPG

and theres the bell peppers....really nothing to write home about this year, usually picking them by the bucket load, just a hand full here and there. nice plants to stay on the positive side maybe they going to come on late this season....
IMG_0735.JPG
and of course the french melons....
WOW this year must be the perfect season every couple days 2-3 ripen have only lost 3 so far. but this has been a especially mild season for us.... hot and hit and miss rain fall.
IMG_0737.JPG

taking the chance and planted 10 more seeds, we shall see what happens. would be nice to have a late harvest...
IMG_0741.JPG

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
7/30/2023.... end of the month update
this mornings harvest....
IMG_0748.JPG

my prized "tropic" mator
IMG_0745.JPG

it has been the perfect storm of a season for tomatoes, no blossom rot, no blight early or late, no cracking from the usual inches of rain. the plants just keep turning out the most perfect mators.
IMG_0753.JPG
IMG_0752.JPG
IMG_0747.JPG

well looky there the brussels sprouts are finally showing bud growth.
IMG_0746.JPG

been a great year for mators, but the peppers have been a hit and miss so far.
IMG_0754.JPG

and the melons they just keep growing, have to keep moving the markers around, but have not seen any new ones so once this round is done...time to pull had to toss 4 more today ...split
IMG_0751.JPG

our hopes are for a late sept harvest with the second planting. 8 out of 10 sprouted so popped a couple more seeds in today.
IMG_0750.JPG

since we did not get the monster melons as in years past. dw dehydrated a batch took 14 melons to get 2 quart jars.
IMG_0756.JPG

lets see what happens in august....

Latest posts