majors 2023 garden

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Land prices will continue to be strong until the credit card companies want paid, new car loans become due, new tires, repairs, etc., then watch the collapse. Most people have put very little aside for hard times. Nothing stays strong forever.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
houses/land is just going stupid. out here they are stuffing sub-divisions/ apartment complex's/ warehouse complex's
anywhere they come get approval.

thank goodness for the farmers holding on.....
Sad thing about the farmers, as they age, their kids don’t want the farm, lured away by the razzle dazzle of the city. Or they die and kids sell the land and blow the money. Or as in my case, they recognize that their kids are waiting for them to die so they can sell the land and blow the money, so they themselves sell the land, so they can retire in financial comfort. Either way, the land is broken up into smaller pieces.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is part of problem. Largest problem is takes so much money to farm-salary, equipment, inputs, etc that you can not clear enough money to exist without an off farm full time job. If you are working 40+ hours away plus travel time, breaks, lunch, why go home to work another job that pays very little? Some do but McDonalds pays better. Livestock industry is controlled by foreign investors or the rich using it as a tax write off. Grain farmers have well over $1M in equipment alone. Where ground is cheap-nobody wants to live or ground isn’t fit for much.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is part of problem. Largest problem is takes so much money to farm-salary, equipment, inputs, etc that you can not clear enough money to exist without an off farm full time job. If you are working 40+ hours away plus travel time, breaks, lunch, why go home to work another job that pays very little? Some do but McDonalds pays better. Livestock industry is controlled by foreign investors or the rich using it as a tax write off. Grain farmers have well over $1M in equipment alone. Where ground is cheap-nobody wants to live or ground isn’t fit for much.
I think this is the problem.

I thought running a hobby farm for profit would be a wonderful career, and tried it back in 2016 with all the space I could muster in my garden. There is no profit in food. Even high end, organic food. After everyone has taken their piece, you're essentially working for free.

Latest posts