Making jam question

GardenGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have a recipe for certo very berry jam. It calls for 4 cups prepared fruit consisting of 1 pt blueberries, 1 pt raspberries, and 1 qt strawberries.

My question is: Can I substitute the 1 pt raspberries with 1 pt of blueberries? That would keep the fruit to 4 cups and it would just double the blueberries. I have no raspberries and I like strawberry-blueberry jam, but I couldn't find a recipe for it that wasn't freezer jam. I will have no room in the freezer after hunting season, so need to conserve space. ;)

Thanks again for all your great help!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
With commercial-pectin jams you can usually be fairly loose with the substitutions, especially if you are substituting between fruits with similar pectin concentrations (but, really, IME, even if you're not :p)

The worst that can possibly happen is that the 'set' of the jam ends up a little different than you expected, but I don't even think you're going to have that, with raspberries vs blueberries. I would say definitely do it :)

Have fun,

Pat

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've never had strawberry-blueberry jam, but it sounds wonderful! Enjoy! :)

GardenGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I figure that the blueberries being a little tarter than the strawberries would be a nice compliment to each other. My sister is in town from just moving to the remotes of British Columbia and she was wondering how to can, since she is so far from any regular stores. People up there told her the best thing to do is can what you can ( :lol: ) to stock up for winter, so I am going to teach her tomorrow by making this jam with her. I wish I had cukes to pickle with, but they are just starting to mature. I'll let you guys know how it turns out! :rainbow-sun

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
GardenGirl said:
People up there told her the best thing to do is can what you can ( :lol: ) to stock up for winter, so I am going to teach her tomorrow by making this jam with her.
The traditional version is "eat what you can, can what you can't" :)

Pat, whose husband inexplicably insists that this joke exists only in his family, but who knows better

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That's a cute saying, Pat :) I am not sure if there is anything quite as satisfying as watching the jars stack up in the freezer and cellar!

GG, I'd go for it! When my jam projects don't quite work out, they still make a wonderful pancake/waffle/ice cream topping :)

How does a person find out the varying pectin levels of fruit, BTW?

GardenGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Pat, I love that saying! We made the blueberry-strawberry jam last night and it is great! You basically taste strawberries, but it is not a sweet as straight strawberry jam. The blueberries did what I hoped they would do and that was to cut some of the candy sweetness of strawberry jam.

My sis was absolutely amazed by the jam making process. She got such a kick out of seeing it "turn" in to jam after the pectin was put in. She can't wait to go home and pick the huckleberries outside her home to make her own jam with!

Now if I could only convince my friends that canning is easy so they would just leave my jars alone. ;)

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
GG, I would like to suggest that you send out invites for a "canning party" to a few of your friends. They can learn how to can from you and leave with the finished product for their own pantry shelves. Plus, canning is always more fun when the work is shared.

averytds

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
You could all see about a class together. I always wanted to go to one, but never got the chance.

Some extension offices have them for a couple of dollars.

Latest posts