Making jam question

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You mentioned your strawberry recipe being very sweet. Did it have you ad some lemon Juice? I find that adding a 1/4 to 1/2 cup per batch really "brightens" up the berries and makes them not so sweet. I love jams on the tart side anyway. I hate the store bought ones that are just like eating sugar.:( However your idea of "mixing" it up a bit is great. You get some great combos with berries and some great flavors. I love Straw/blueberry and straw/rhubarb. YOu can be creative with so many flavors. I also tried the spiced blueberry jam someone posted on here. I was way yummy. I added a little vanilla when it was done cooking and with the cinnamon nutmeg and clove it was mucho nummy:D

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
blurose said:
GG, I would like to suggest that you send out invites for a "canning party" to a few of your friends. They can learn how to can from you and leave with the finished product for their own pantry shelves. Plus, canning is always more fun when the work is shared.
Yeah, that's how I finally got my sister to quit mooching all my good jams and marmalades. Finally! We did a couple batches together. She still doesn't do all that much herself, but she *can* do it, and now has no excuse <g>

I still give her a jar or two of 'the good stuff' for Christmas, tho (I particularly recommend the apple-pear-ginger marmalade recipe from that Small Batch Preserving cookbook by Topp and Howard) :)

So many things are EVER so much easier to learn by being there with an experienced person doing it. I sure wish I could find someone around here to teach me to process chickens.

Pat

sparks

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Garden Girl...Tell me about your Huckleberries!!! I received some free seeds and they are growing great. Even asked about them on the forum with no responces. What I do know is they have to fully ripen and have to be cooked. Any input would be appreciated!!:happy_flower

Latest posts