Making Maple Syrup

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
1. Identify your trees. This is most easily done in the fall. You don't have to use only sugar maples, silver maples and black maples work fine too--the syrup will be a bit darker, but it will taste fine.

2. Measure the trees. Trees are old enough to tap when they are one foot in diameter. To measure, take a tape measure and measure around the tree at chest height, then divide by 3.14. You can put one tap per 10 inches of diameter, so a tree with a diameter of 12" can get one tap, 20" diam. tree can take two taps, etc. If the tree looks a bit mossy or has damaged branches or rotten limbs, pick another tree.

3. Assemble your stuff. You will need:
1/2" diameter drill bit in a cordless drill
food grade 5 gallon buckets (the kind from restaurants are fine)
spiles I use these kind but you can make your own from wood or pieces of pipe
hooks to hang the buckets
a mallet to tap the spiles into the hole and make a tight fit
a way to boil sap outside. You don't want to boil in the house, it will laminate your kitchen ceiling. I boil mine on the grill using pieces of firewood that are too big to fit the wood stove. Gas cooking stuff is expensive, you will need to boil a very long time.
disposable foil pans. Don't wreck your good pans. Burned sap is really really hard to get off.

4. Drill holes in the trees at a height that is comfortable for you to lift a very heavy bucket. Those 5 gallon buckets will get FULL, and they are heavy and they slosh. Don't put it too high.

5. Push the spiles into the holes as far as they will go. Use the mallet to tap it a few times and make sure it's in good and tight. A couple of gentle taps are enough. Then hang the bucket. Like so:
maplespiles.jpg
I put foil over the top of the bucket, as it was dripping rain, but you can devise your own lid or rain protector.

6. Wait. Each tap can produce anywhere from 1-7 gallons of syrup per day, depending on the tree's health, size and weather.
collectingsap.jpg

mapletreewithbuckets.jpg

7. Boil the sap down to 1:40th its original volume. One five gallon bucket == 1 pint of syrup. Be patient. Roasting pans work well.
My awesome sugar shack:
sugarshack.jpg

With the tarp falling down in the wind...
boilingsaponawoodfire.jpg

I usually boil it to 1/10th outside, then do the final 1/4 in the house where I can pay attention to it.

If you don't pay attention and you boil too long, you get maple candy that hardens in your syrup pitcher like so:
maplesyrupoverboiled.jpg

The syrup will be done when it is 66% sugar. You can check with a hygrometer if you want, but if it's just for your personal use, you can just stop boiling when a spoonful at room temperature appears to be the right consistency and taste.

8. Pour the hot syrup into sterilized canning jars. Just the hot syrup and the clean lid will seal if you leave it cool on the countertop overnight.

9. When the buds start to swell and open on the trees, you have to stop collecting sap. The sap will start to get weird flavors. Use a pliers to get the spiles out of the trees. The holes will heal in a few months on their own. I like to put that sticky bug trap tape stuff over the holes, but an arborist told me that this was not necessary. I guess it depends on what sort of bugs live in your area, some places have beetles that can kill a tree. Check with your local tree doctors just in case.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Great set up- thanks for the tutorial! I really hope I have some nice big maples on my dream farm...Enjoy your yummy syrup!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Awesome tutorial Rosalind! I have always wondered how to do that. I remember my dad tapping a couple sugar maples in our backyard and making syrup a time or two. I was so young at the time, I couldn't remember how he did it. He built a simple fire pit and used an old furnace vent grill to set his pans of syrup on.

Sugar maples are not very common around here, although you do see some. I'm glad to hear that you can use a couple others. I will need to double-check my tree identification though. I always thought the maples with black bark and gorgeous red leaves in the fall were called sugar maples, but maybe I have them confused with what you call a black maple? I'm not so sure what a silver maple is either...what I've called silver maple has unusual leaves (smaller and not so typical for a maple), they are actually very silver and somewhat fuzzy on the bottom side, so maybe I have that one wrong too. It will make for a good Google research on a cold, snowy February afternoon! :)

FYI to all, it is very easy to obtain foodgrade 5 gallon buckets from your grocery deli. They get a lot of things in them, like icing, and my deli usually has bunches of them they'll gladly give away. I use them for chicken feeders and waterers.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's it... I'm going maple hunting in the woods here and by my mom's!!!

Always thought about doing it, and never got around to it. :D

You just helped me realize its not as difficult as I imagined. ;)

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Maple ID

Many look very similar. It's really the silver maples that look distinct, they have a beech-like bark.

The only difficult bit is calculating how much you can realistically handle, which is determined by how you are boiling. If you have, for example, a way more efficient way to boil than my foil pans on the BBQ method--I dream of the day I have a nice outdoor masonry grill/fire pit, complete with charcoal and real wide evaporating pans--then you can handle much more. My foil pan/BBQ method can only evaporate, at best, about 1 - 1.5 gallons/hour. Since I end up collecting, on average, 15-20 gallons per week per tap, that means I have to spend all weekend and every other evening after work boiling sap. Maple syrup season lasts about three to four weeks here (used to be 4-6 weeks in the 1930s), so by Week 2 the novelty has worn off and I am tired, tired, tired of minding the grill and digging out bits of oddly-shaped wood from the shed. Unfortunately, the way to find out how efficient your setup is, is to just do it and see.

But, even if you do get overwhelmed, remind yourself that it won't last. You can use raw maple sap pretty much anywhere you'd use lightly sweetened water: bread dough, coffee, tea, oatmeal.

The sap doesn't really keep. You can make a sort of extra-large cooler by getting a big trash can and packing straw in, then putting a smaller trash can inside that and lining it with plastic bags, but otherwise you're stuck keeping it in empty juice bottles and such until you can get around to boiling it. You gotta boil it fairly soon, within a week of collecting it. Otherwise it will sour like raw milk.

If I was farming to make money, maple syrup would definitely be one of my crops. Maple trees don't need much in the way of care, don't require any fertilizer or watering (if they grow in your region, they'll find their own nutrients and water once established), and you can usually get enough firewood to boil the syrup from sugarbush prunings, softwood logs (e.g. ex-holiday trees) or coppice wood. The season is over quickly enough, that you can run turkeys in the sugarbush after you're done harvesting for the year. The trees will re-seed themselves, and if the forest is getting a little too thick for your liking (the trees produce more sap if the crown gets more sun), you can harvest the thinned trees for lumber. You can use the chippings from the little branches to grow gourmet mushrooms. This time of year, most farms are just planning what they are going to do in a month or so, and have little cash income. Maple trees also make nice windbreaks between fields to stop erosion, so they can be basically "companion plants" to crops grown in large fields.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the link Rosalind. Mapletrees.com has lots of good pics on there.

So it seems WV is well within the range of the top 4 maple trees for tapping. I will look further into tree identification and make this a project for next year. Got too many irons in the fire right now to take on anything else time-consuming right now. My bees will get most of my spare time and attention this year. I am also working on building a fire pit for cookouts and making apple butter and hope to have that done this spring, so it will also purpose well for making maple syrup. Cool! :happy_flower

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I know I have a red maple, but I planted it and its about 2" in diameter.... we have a wait on that one! LOL

I'm pretty sure we have silver maple... its just walking up the trail and pointing out their bark. I see the leaves in the fall for sure. I know there are at least 3-4 good tall ones, so I bet they are thick around.

This would just be enough for our family to enjoy, and since we do a burn pit with all the camping gear... this is easily set up right in the yard. 2-3 pints for the family is more then enough.

How many trees do you work from Rosa? Are you planning on doing this for business or is this just for family and self? When do you start your season officially? Jan? Are you coming to an end or done?

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
How many trees do you work from Rosa? Are you planning on doing this for business or is this just for family and self? When do you start your season officially? Jan? Are you coming to an end or done?
We have two sugar maples, several smaller red maples, and two silver maples. Last year I tapped three big ones (five taps), which was too many to keep up with, so this year I only tapped two (one tap each).

Just for family and friends. I don't have enough time to do it as a business. Maybe when I retire. ;)

Season starts when it is 40F or thereabouts in the daytime, consistently, but still freezing at night, so ours started last week. Will probably keep going till the second week of March or so.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm just thinking if I find one out in the woods, I would give it a try to see what develops. Test run this year.

What do you do for taps? Are they made or purchased?

Latest posts