making Pastrami at home

Kim_NC

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We make a pastrami recipe that requires wrapping the meat in 6 layers of foil and baking at a low temp for 5 hours.

Here are a couple photos of the homemade pastrami with a loaf of homemade rye bread.

Pastrami-n-Rye1.jpg

Pastrami-n-Rye2.jpg

The original recipe BIL found on YouTube. Here's a link, includes video. It is delicious!:
http://video.about.com/americanfood/Homemade-Pastrami.htm

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Homeade Pastrami and Fresh Homeade Rye Bread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am married but you can come live with me if you would like :weee

I am not sure there is much better in the world :thumbsup

Now if you can do homeade corned beef and kraut I might have to build on and let you bring the family too! :celebrate

Kim_NC

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Grow 4 Food said:
Homeade Pastrami and Fresh Homeade Rye Bread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am married but you can come live with me if you would like :weee

I am not sure there is much better in the world :thumbsup

Now if you can do homeade corned beef and kraut I might have to build on and let you bring the family too! :celebrate
Weeellllll...I'm quite happy here with DH. LOL...and too old for changes. ;)

But now that you mention it, we DO make our own Corned Beef or Venison. And we make Sauerkraut in a Jar. You must want to make a homemade version of Rueben Sandwiches???

I have the Sauerkraut recipe posted here .

And Rye Bread recipe posted here - calls for bread machine, but I just bake in the oven in standard loaf pan

And below is the corned beef recipe
Corned Beef or Venison

Brine for 10 Lb brisket (or adjust for your size brisket)

1 1/2 gal water
3 beef boullion cubes
(if you object to commercial boullion, then use beef stock in place of water and omit boullion)
1 cup + 2 Tbl tender quick

4 Tbl mustard sed
3 Tbl celery salt
3 Tbl coarse black pepper
1 bulb garlic, clean all cloves and dice

1 meat injector needle

Bring all ingredients to a boil. Then boil for 5 minutes, cool

Immerse meat in brine mixture and refrigerate.
First 4 days - inject meat everyday
Next 8 days - inject meat every other day
Drain meat for 1 day (in refrigerator)

Cook corned beef using your favorite recipe. Or freeze for storage.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That looks so good!! Ummmm :)
I do a little cured meats too, i have proscuitto and salami that i made over the winter in my garage, can't wait to taste it.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You mentioned venison in there are couple times. We go through a lot of venison but I would be affraid it would be really dry do to no fat? Have you ever made the pastrami out of the venison after corning it?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow that is a lot of work! I hope it was super worth it. I don't eat red meat but I would love to do something like that as a turkey pastrami perhaps.

Which reminds me, weren't you the one who did the homemade sandwich slicing turkey breast, the deli style?!?! I would LOVE for you to point me to that link again. I really want to try it. :p

Kim_NC

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I often use commercial corned beef. Then you only have the time/work to make the actual pastrami recipe.

The turkey breast I mentioned was on BYC:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=272498

Check my later posts in that message trail, eventually I modified the method to cook wrapped in foil + a cookig bag, and at a low temp (like the pastrami). I use a meat thermometer to make sure it reaches 180*. This helps keep the meat more moist.

Latest posts