Making Pickles

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I attemped to make some dill pickles today, I did pretty good i added plenty of fresh dill from the garden and the cukes were of course from the garden. I really wanted to make sure i would make crunchy crisp pickles i researched it and found two things required to make crisp pickles. The first is that your suppose to take your sliced cukes or whole and let them sit in a cold ice bath for at least 2 hours but no longer than 8 hours. The second is when your processing the pickles in the jar to keep the temp of the boiling water to 180 degrees F but not higher than 185 or you'll get soft pickles.
I tried my best to follow these 2 rules so we'll see if it makes a difference.

I just have two questions, I filled the canning jar with brine to just a hair line below the neck of the jar is this ok or does the brine have to be 1/2 up the jar? Also, While i'm writing, i heard this loud popping sound coming from the pickle jar is this normal? , it almost frightened me :lol: .

Thanks!!

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I normaly leave 1/2" headspace in the jar, i.e. fill the jar to within 1/2" of being full.
The popping sound is a good thing, it's the vacume forming in the jar.
I don't quite understand your statement of keeping the "boiling" water between 180 and 185 degrees. Is this to say you don't need to boil the water but heat it to between these temps?
THANX RICH

People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
dickiebird said:
I normaly leave 1/2" headspace in the jar, i.e. fill the jar to within 1/2" of being full.
The popping sound is a good thing, it's the vacume forming in the jar.
I don't quite understand your statement of keeping the "boiling" water between 180 and 185 degrees. Is this to say you don't need to boil the water but heat it to between these temps?
THANX RICH

People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!
Thanks Rich ;) for replying next time i'll be sure to fill the jars 1/2". Yes, i think your just suppose to heat it to those temperatures it doesnt have to boil.

Latest posts