mandolin cutters/slicers

cityfarmer

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Does anyone use a mandolin cutter/slicer? I don't mind cutting by hand but if this makes it faster I don't mind the investment. I just don't want to buy yet another kitchen gadget that doesn't get used. :cool:

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have two of them. They are wonderful, and cheap too! Mine are V-Slicer plus. I think they were $30. Great for slicing a bunch of tomatoes, cabbage, mushrooms, etc.

The blade is very very sharp! Since I just bought a dehydrator, and have been slicing veggies and fruit, I've taken off a couple of fingernails. No fingers yet tho....

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
murphysranch said:
I have two of them. They are wonderful, and cheap too! Mine are V-Slicer plus. I think they were $30. Great for slicing a bunch of tomatoes, cabbage, mushrooms, etc.

The blade is very very sharp! Since I just bought a dehydrator, and have been slicing veggies and fruit, I've taken off a couple of fingernails. No fingers yet tho....
I have taken a tip off one finger...the very first time I used it...but if you are very careful it is a good tool...

Veggie PAK

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I had two of them and recycled both of them after I cut my knuckle. I think they work well if the vegetable is just the right firmness. Trouble is, veggies vary so much in firmness, I prefer to use a very sharp chef's knife. Still have to be very careful washing it or I could lose a finger.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have what was my great-grandmother's old wooden cabbage slicer (she would have used it for sauerkraut; I use it for coleslaw :p). It's vastly faster and neater than using a knife. (Also it is cool to be using a tool that's a hundred years old). However you could easily lose the end of a finger on it.

As far as modern plastic or metal mandolins, I've seen/tried some that seem pretty well made, and others that are too wibbly-wobbly. And, because they only work well (esp. on squishy things like tomatoes) if they are S*H*A*R*P, you would probably not want to use one if you are a klutz :p

JME, good luck, have fun,

Pat

jomoncon

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I also have a v-slicer and I love it. I think I'm on my 3rd one - that's cause ex-hubby insisted on putting it in the dishwasher. It makes quick work of slicing or dicing onions. Also use it for slicing potatoes real thin for almost potato chip fries. Always use the holder when slicing.

Latest posts