March 12th

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I took a picture on 3.12.17 and a picture on 3.12.18 from the same basic spot.
The first one is 3.12.18 today
09DD2B4C-AC98-4023-B115-D2C1FD553776.jpeg

Second pic is 3.12.17
7E1361D4-F1F7-478B-9B5F-4C70567C5BF9.jpeg

Big difference from last year.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Still, we are told ... that Snotel sites ... are good, with adequate mountain snow cover.

That's a very nice protected growing structure, Collector. I am having my usual frustration with trying to account for greenhouse temperatures. The insulated wall faces the house so I have 3 outdoor thermometers that measure deck temperature from outside the kitchen window or show something crazy from who knows where if I put them in the greenhouse!

Was crawling around my yard, yesterday. Finished refurbing a fence panel and putting it back. Ripped another down and carried it to the backyard. Yes, I got into the snow and muddy! Had to dig a hole to get drill motor below a screw. Soil wasn't froze there and it's somewhat shady.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I took a picture on 3.12.17 and a picture on 3.12.18 from the same basic spot.
The first one is 3.12.18 today
View attachment 25002
Second pic is 3.12.17
View attachment 25001
Big difference from last year.

yeah, last year was quite a pile on year. this year, is about 1/3-1/2 of normal for most places i've scouted.

was glad to see CA mtns get some rain/snow yesterday. not sure how much of it made it further inland to the Rockies.

many people are hoping for a few more good storms this month out there. me too. i'd like to see Lake Mead and Powell get topped off again so the Colorado River Delta can see their river run again.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS' I have a remote thermometers out in the greenhouse as well as outside the house on a tree. I have no insulation or heat in greenhouse, so the temps are the same unless it Day time. I really need to figure out some type of a way to heat it up or retain a little heat in there. I am going to need to start using it soon.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
What about the black water barrels that I've seen used on the 'off the grid' TV shows?
They fill a few plastic water barrels along a wall in the greenhouse. Supposedly they absorb heat all day and release it at night...

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i've seen a lot of those solar batteries & thought a combo of those & a fresh compost pile with a hose running through the middle helps to keep the temps decent.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
What about the black water barrels that I've seen used on the 'off the grid' TV shows?
They fill a few plastic water barrels along a wall in the greenhouse. Supposedly they absorb heat all day and release it at night...

yes, thermal mass will help smooth things out, insulate cold side, put down foam board on the floor and then top with thermal mass...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's kinda funny to see that little bit of snow over there in the shade in last year's photo, Collector.

The other two pictures could be bookends. If I had to guess, the most recent has about a foot more snow than 2017. Piled ... so we can be confident that you cleaned the same number of square feet to make both of those.

My greenhouse surroundings look much the same, snow-wise. Fortunately, sunny days generate enuf heat that it melts the snow piled against the south side. It was bulging inward for awhile! (I didn't do that, it was what slid down from the roof peak.)

Steve

Latest posts