Mardi Gras Massacre!

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
On December 25 I started 96 tomato seeds of 8 different varieties, from Sample Seeds. I kept the flat in my teeny greenhouse, which is a plastic shop shelving unit from Home Depot under a cover made from middling thick double polished clear vinyl with a zipper down the front/middle, out on my rear porch (SE facing).

Weather'd been chilly, but on potentially frosty nights I'd plugged in a string of xmas lights to keep everyone toasty. I was nearly at 100% germination; everyone was about an inch tall and looking good.

And then... Mardi Gras.

Not only did the flat dry out, but 50degF felt a lot more like 70degF in the sun and out of the wind. And the vinyl cover was still zipped down.

That night I stuck my head out to check and they were crispy fried critters. :( Not a single salvageable specimen.

Not sure I have time to re-start the process (summer comes quickly here, and is 90degF by July 1). Have had less luck with purchased transplants either from a local greenhouse or from Laurel.

Now that the weather is generally warmer, would germination and growth be quicker? Might I have transplantable babies by April 1?

Last edited:

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I say go for it, nothing ventured, nothing gained. They say to start tomatoes 8 weeks before plant out date and without looking at the calendar you've got about 6 weeks until April 1st. Sprouting a few seeds in damp paper towel enclosed in zip locks or small containers is one way to hurry things along. Place in a warm spot and check every day, I've had tomato seeds sprout in 3 days done this way. Be sure to check every day and plant the seeds up as soon as they break out of the seed coat otherwise they little roots grow right into the paper towel and they are hard to remove without damaging the root.
Annette

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
See, the always optimistic gardeners' consensus seems to be plant again and soon. I really would have thought the zipped plastic shell would have kept them from drying out. Perhaps a pan or bucket of water at the bottom to add humidity if things seem to be drying out too quickly?

I have the same 4 shelf plastic mini-greenhouse (a couple of them, in fact) for starting my seedlings. They usually work really well.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
On December 25 I started 96 tomato seeds of 8 different varieties, from Sample Seeds. I kept the flat in my teeny greenhouse, which is a plastic shop shelving unit from Home Depot under a cover made from middling thick double polished clear vinyl with a zipper down the front/middle, out on my rear porch (SE facing).

Weather'd been chilly, but on potentially frosty nights I'd plugged in a string of xmas lights to keep everyone toasty. I was nearly at 100% germination; everyone was about an inch tall and looking good.

And then... Mardi Gras.

Not only did the flat dry out, but 50degF felt a lot more like 70degF in the sun and out of the wind. And the vinyl cover was still zipped down.

That night I stuck my head out to check and they were crispy fried critters. :( Not a single salvageable specimen.

Not sure I have time to re-start the process (summer comes quickly here, and is 90degF by July 1). Have had less luck with purchased transplants either from a local greenhouse or from Laurel.

Now that the weather is generally warmer, would germination and growth be quicker? Might I have transplantable babies by April 1?
I would think you have plenty of time. Where the heck is zone 9? Look for shorter season varieties.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Joz! Long time, no see. Been missing you, glad you are back, but sad that your plants fried to a crisp. By all means start over, you just might have wonderful tomatoes anyway. Go for it.

Latest posts