Mardi Gras Massacre!

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
South Louisiana, actually; NOLA = New Orleans Louisiana.

I'm gonna go get some transplants from a quirky little nursery next weekend. I really wanted a super early start this year. Over the last two years I have gotten ONE edible tomato. Have lost the others to bugs, rats, slugs, and something that makes the tomatoes hard and weird and yellowish and inedible. Perhaps hybrids are my answer this year.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am surprised that in your climate tomatoes would be difficult. My guess is that you may need varieties that are specific to your climate. The little nursery should be better than any big box store that sells the same varieties nationally. Ask the nursery for advice.

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am surprised that in your climate tomatoes would be difficult. My guess is that you may need varieties that are specific to your climate. The little nursery should be better than any big box store that sells the same varieties nationally. Ask the nursery for advice.

It's hot and humid quite early in the year. Between the humidity, general heat, and the lack of a day/night temperature difference (after July 1 it's about 90degresF and 90% humidity until October), I can get huge green plants, but the pollen is much pickier about doing its thing. I've been trying for years to find heirlooms that work well here, and struck out nearly every time. Transplants from Laurel's Heirlooms, specifically chosen as "good in long hot summers"... that year I got maybe one tomato. Period.

Have got a Golden Pineapple (I think?), a Cherokee Purple, three Sungold, a tomatillo, and three red Brandywine from the wee quirky nursery.... Will pop by another nursery this weekend and maybe grab a few more. I avoid all the typical hybrids... tho I may stuff an Early Girl in just for the sake of getting SOMETHING to produce, dammit. "Creole" tomatoes are boring, bland, and refer to anything grown in Louisiana soil, so could really be anything, tho I think there's a proprietary Creole LSU hybrid something.... Whatever the case, I've never been impressed, nor have I found them to perform better (granted I've not spent much time/space/attention on them since I decided I didn't much care for the flavor).

I think my biggest problem is bugs, slugs, and rats. I've got the goods to manage the first two of those problems. Not sure what to do about the rats, other than move (there's a bar/restaurant two doors down from me; their dumpsters are ~100' away from my garden). Maybe soil? I used pine straw to mulch for a couple years, which exacerbated my slug/snail problem. Have never had the soil tested, but I dump 10 bags of compost into my 100sf every year... surely it's alright? Meant to send off a soil sample, but never think to do it well before transplant time. Do those kits on Amazon work? I trust the pH tests, but the others...??

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is an organic bait called es=-car-go. I used it once and really had not noticed but, I do not have a problem with slugs anymore, so maybe it worked. I would put out rat bait where your pets cannot get to it. Maybe in their dumpster, even. I use pyrethrum and rotenone, considered organic, for pests. I let my chickens range in the veggie garden which seems to have reduced sets to manageable levels. I use horse and chicken manure, and make compost. But, your zone is so different from mine.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
aftermidnight wrote: "Be sure to check every day and plant the seeds up as soon as they break out of the seed coat otherwise they little roots grow right into the paper towel and they are hard to remove without damaging the root."
If you use coffee filters the roots will not grow into them.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is an organic bait called es=-car-go. I used it once and really had not noticed but, I do not have a problem with slugs anymore, so maybe it worked. I would put out rat bait where your pets cannot get to it. Maybe in their dumpster, even. I use pyrethrum and rotenone, considered organic, for pests. I let my chickens range in the veggie garden which seems to have reduced sets to manageable levels. I use horse and chicken manure, and make compost. But, your zone is so different from mine.
Where do you buy es-car-go?

Mary

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
http://www.gardensalive.com/product/escar-go-slug-snail-control
I use a lot of garden's Alive products. Today is the last day for their 50% off sale...25 off of 50 etc.
http://www.gardensalive.com/categor...wC&p=0166845&utm_source=email&utm_medium=asp2
I got it in an e-mail. Do't know if it applies to anyone or their current customers. I have also read about a carnivorous snail/slug that you can put into your garden. I don't remember if I ever did that. I think I was worried about bringing in a non native.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
The carnivorous snail is the long spiral pointed one. It is not large, small like the common little garden snail. The carnivorous snail I believe to be a native, but I don't know what states.

Latest posts