Marigold seeds question.

Gardening girl

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I picked some of my marigold flowers and took out the seeds, I was wondering, will they germinate? Or do they have to dry out or something?

Thanks!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pretty sure they have to dry out. I wait until the seed pod is dry on the plant to collect them, then keep them until spring to plant. They have to be really dry to store without molding.

I don't know if marigolds need cold weather or anything like that to break dormancy, I don't think they do, but I'm pretty sure they need to dry out before they germinate. I always save some seed and plant them to get transplants but I don't have to. I get a ton that volunteer every spring/early summer.

Gardening girl

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!! I harvested them and I'm going to plant them next spring

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
A few photos

Seed bed.JPG

I start marigold and zinnia seeds in this old bed. I've used it for different things before but this is now its purpose.. I need to get about 8 more marigold plants out of this then that's all I need. Zinnias were thin on the ground this year but I've already got all I need. There are still a few nice ones in here I'll probably stick somewhere.

Landscape.JPG

I use marigolds in the front of this bed at my guest parking area In front they give me bright colors all summer until frost down low.

Corn.JPG

I grow a few different corn batches so I have fresh corn a lot of the summer instead of just one big batch. I don't know why but I separate each batch of corn with marigolds. The ones on the ends of the rows do pretty well but the ones in the middle are really shaded until the corn is harvested. They just don't grow much until then. But by the time fall roles around they have all really burst into their glory. Then when they die and I've collected seeds I want for next year I toss the plants with dried seeds into the chickens. They eat the dried petals which turn the egg yolks really dark orange.

Latest posts