Mark down Dalihias?

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So I was at Lowes and I got 5 Dalilas for 1 buck each! They all have a gorgeous pink white color with pink in the edges (I'd show pics but the kids got to them before we had are no touchy conversation).

So my question is now what?

Will they make it in the south?
Should I plant them for a few blossoms now and then store the bulbs for winter and then replant in the summer?

and anything else you got....

RedClayGardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Wow what a coincidence! I bought a mark down dahlia from Lowes 2 years ago. The container said they were only an annual but I mulched it over the winter with a pile of leaves and it came back the next spring like crazy. I had to divide it 3 times. This year we had a much colder winter and I thought it would die but I saw the first shoots this morning.
It's much hardier than Lowes gives it credit for. I would plant now since mine blooms well into the fall. Unless you just have the bulbs, then I am not sure...

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
In the south they have a very good chance of surviving the winter months. Us up north unfortunately have to dig them up and bring them in every winter. Next year you should have even more dahlia plants that will develop.

Good Luck!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
LOL, see...Lowes is hoping you will toss them out and come buy more next year! :gig

That is an awesome deal you got Obsessed!!

Yes, they form tubers and are perennial. They will divide and make more. I'd say you can probably get away with keeping yours in the ground all year down there in the south. They are very sensitive to frost and we have to dig ours and store them prior to the first frost up here, like you would store glads.

Was it bare tubers you got? I take it they haven't bloomed yet? You can plant them now either way do them like Red mentioned next winter.

ETA: They like sun.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
In the south, I've learned about 50% of 'annuals' are packages in the north and they don't know what they are missing down here! :gig

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
these are already flowering something gorgeious. I am redoing the front bed so I will plant them this weekend.

on A side note I just got my Zimmeran and McClure? but they dont carry dalias. Anybody got a good website? or company for companions to my new plants?