Mary, How is California?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hope you aren't up in your cabin, @ninnymary .

Everything at lower elevations east of you is getting slammed by heavy rain. Tonight and tomorrow morning ... The Weather Service says that travel into Nevada may be impossible because of a severe snowstorm.

If that's true to the east, all that moisture must be coming right over San Francisco Bay.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Okay, NWS Sacramento:

"Downtown Sacramento set an all-time 24 hr rainfall total. 5.44 inches were recorded, breaking the old record of 5.28 inches set back in 1880"

yes, that sounds more likely for sure as i know they've gotten the Pineapple Express for ages.

they really need the rains to fill up those reservoirs so this will certainly help, but all the debris and muds from the fires are gonna be a mess (already have been).

at least in San Fran there are the hills to keep above flood stage. i still hope @ninnymary has her water wings handy in case she needs them. :)

it's been raining here for the past 8hrs, not super heavy downpours but enough to keep things soggy. not going to get any gardening done outside today...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I should point out that what I was saying first this morning was information from the Sacramento Airport ;). Notice that the downtown reading goes back to 1880, probably further. Of course in those years, they were still using Leonardo da Vinci's helicopter and could set it down in the town square ... as long as it didn't frightening the horses.

The Sacramento Delta is quite an interesting place, levees for miles and miles in many directions. I'm sure that it's a relief knowing that water levels are low for the larger area. Interstate 80 is closed because of the weather. High, high mountains to cross heading east.

Lowest pressure ever recorded off the coast of WA state near Aberdeen. Lots of wind on the coast

Steve
wading out from another 1/4" of rain

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Family in the southern part of the SF Bay Area got NUTHIN'. Windy yes.

Rogue Valley got nuthin' either. 0.30 inches of rain over two days. Boo hiss....

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score

Lots of numbers but it was an historical event. They are saying that, No, this didn't end the Drought. It shows the tragedy of the California drought conditions that they say, "Sacramento in a single day recorded more than 80% as much rainfall as it received in all of the 2020-21 water year. The city got just 6.61 inches between October 2020 and September 2021."

The article touches on the rainfall in some other cities and locations. So much rain in Paradise CA, the town that was destroyed by fire in 2020.

Steve

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve and Mary - I'm sorry. When I did my weekly call to Mother, at 91 next month, who lives in San Jose, she said it didn't rain.

Talked to sis in San Jose, who said it poured so much, that she sat at the bedroom window in awe of the amount that came down.

My mistake on my post.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Flowerbug and Steve, I just got back from Cabo last night. It was raining Sunday when we left. The bay area at least in Alameda got about 4 inches of rain. My plants did well and my son didn't have to water them while I was gone. But we did kept getting texts from my daughter who lives in Sacramento. This clueless daughter of ours didn't check her basement until she rain out of hot water. Fortunately we were able to tell her what to do and she managed to get an extension cord, get the pump working, and reset the heater pilot. She had called everyone and there was only 1 guy who could come out for $500. Glad she was able to save her money.

We plan to go help her out drying the stuff out in a couple days.

Mary

Latest posts