Mash for chickens?

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I bought 'mash' for my chickens today from the feed store. Does it need to be mixed with a liquid, or can I just feed it to them straight? They started eating it when I filled the feeder earlier, but I'm not sure if that's what I'm supposed to do.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Kate, it may very well be exactly the same formula as the company uses for their pellets or crumbles. With those, the mash has been run thru a pelleting machine.

Mash just hasn't been processed beyond milling. It is very much in the same state as starter feed.

Mash for laying hens is fine just as is, out of the bag.

Steve

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mash is just chicken feed... they also have crumbles also which isnt as ground up as the mash but they are the same feed...I find crumbles less wasteful...chickens like to throw their food on the ground... they can see the crumbles on the ground...

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
They definitely did make a mess of it, but I didn't see a whole lot left when I went out a little bit ago. Might go back to the crumbles next time.

Gnome_Czech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I would introduce pellets as soon as possible...the mash is messy and creates too much waste, crumbles are the next step up but they can be wasteful, too. Pellets are never wasted! May take timeto get them used to it, that is why I suggest introducing as soon as possible.

Latest posts