Mason bees are reluctant tenants

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
excellent site. Thanks for the link. I seem to be doing everything right. I guess I'll have to wait and see. Maybe it's too early in the season. Of course we have a different species but I doubt the behavior varies much. Ours probably don't need the long dormant period yours do.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hoodat...I also live in California so I'm hoping you can help me to identify the bees I have. I only have a couple and they are small. I don't know the difference between honey bees, mason bees, carpenter bees, etc. I think I do know what a wasp looks like and a bumble bee! :D But other than that, don't know much about history...I mean bees!:D

What type do you think I have? I just wished I had more. I've tried planting things that they like but so far not doing very well. My golden zuchini has only 1 zuchinni and some flowers that I don't think will bear fruit. I know you've said that we can pollinate by hand the male with the female flowers but I seem to have only one type of flower. Which kind (male or female) I don't know.:idunno

Mary

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
Hoodat...I also live in California so I'm hoping you can help me to identify the bees I have. I only have a couple and they are small. I don't know the difference between honey bees, mason bees, carpenter bees, etc. I think I do know what a wasp looks like and a bumble bee! :D But other than that, don't know much about history...I mean bees!:D

What type do you think I have? I just wished I had more. I've tried planting things that they like but so far not doing very well. My golden zuchini has only 1 zuchinni and some flowers that I don't think will bear fruit. I know you've said that we can pollinate by hand the male with the female flowers but I seem to have only one type of flower. Which kind (male or female) I don't know.:idunno

Mary
the best way to identify them is to go to Google and just type in bee, then click on images. That will give you pictures but usually not size. Rule of thumb is if it'e the size of a bumblebee or bigger it's probably a carpenter bee, especially if it is a shiny black.If it's the size of a honeybee or smaller it's probably a mason bee. Some of them are shiny black on the rear end but not all over. There are burrowing bees but they aren't much use as a pollinator, except for bumblebees which are primo. Some burrowing bees don't even have wings. A good example of that is the velvet ant which is sometimes classed as a wasp and sometimes as a bee. If you ever stepped on one bare foot you know darn well it has a stinger.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
One other thing I've read is that they prefer the inside of the hole be smooth. Regular drill bits will leave it rough inside. A forstner bit is best to drill with but they are a bit pricey. A brad poit bit will leave a sreasonably smooth hole and is cheaper than a forstner.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am having an issue finding 4x4 or 6x6 in NON treated wood?!?! My husband wanted to start making these... but treated wood has pesticides in it and is not healthy for the bees. :(

I guess we're going to have to start cutting wood from our wood pile to use? Yes / No?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
fl_deb said:
:idunno

I notice some differences in hole sizes recommended for this bee= see ref below for western Washington state (hoodat maybe your size is off a bit???) or perhaps holes are not drilled smoothly enough????

http://gardening.wsu.edu/library/inse006/inse006.htm

:idunno
NC State University suggests with southeastern mason bees they want 5/16th drill bit holes. Making them 3/4" apart. I'm assuming you are in Florida and we may have the same species.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
vfem said:
I am having an issue finding 4x4 or 6x6 in NON treated wood?!?! My husband wanted to start making these... but treated wood has pesticides in it and is not healthy for the bees. :(

I guess we're going to have to start cutting wood from our wood pile to use? Yes / No?
I saw a video clip where they used dry firewood and driftwood and the bees were all over it.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
vfem said:

I saw a video clip where they used dry firewood and driftwood and the bees were all over it.
sounds like our only choice... must go borrow the chain saw again! :D

Latest posts