Massive Garden Project, Need Advice

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here's an update on the winery garden project....

The Powers That Be are not giving me the funds for fertilizer and soil amendments. They bought cheap plants that are faltering miserably in the soil. I cannot convince them to buy me better plants or, better yet, buy a cheap greenhouse and let me start our own seedlings.

They set me up to fail because the manager didn't want the project (the people above her wanted it, but she didn't want it, so I get very little of what I request in so far as supplies goes).

I am still trying to make it work because I still have a paid job to do. Think of a contractor who has to build a structure with nuts, bolts, and tools, but really isn't given any foundation materials. This is a high-end winery with very deep pockets & I have been begging for fertilizer for MONTHS. When I showed the manager side-by-side pictures of the raised tomato beds I have here at home versus the raised tomato beds at work (which look completely pathetic and sad), she actually had the balls to say to me, "Yeah, but every garden is different." While there is truth in that, I have never in my entire 30 years of gardening had a garden as pathetic and sad as the one at the winery. They have WAY deeper pockets than I do, so why do I not have the supplies I need? It took me almost 2 months to get them to buy the tomato cages that were needed and about 6 weeks to get them to give up trellises for the cucumbers and pumpkins (still got nothing for the melons to climb).

What's really frustrating is that I did not go to them with this project. They knew I was a gardener and came to ME and asked ME to do it. So, why do they choose to not follow my advice and choose to choke out any requests I make for supplies and fertilizers? I mean, come on, buy me some bags of steer manure if nothing else, for heaven's sake!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry, I can't be of much help here, but I am a good listener :hugs and I suspect you needed to vent.:hugs

By winery are you talking vineyard and processing plant or just processing plant. If it is both, you might have a conversation with the head of the vineyard who might be able to add an additional voice to push for what you need.

You know your situation. I would probably not advise you go over the supervisor's head myself unless I knew a lot more about what's going on. If, however, you could 'accidentaly' meet one of the head honchos who want the plan to work, you might mention what you need to make a better display for the business OR have (or make up) a few letters from customers who wish to add their opinion as to what the display area needs to better represent your business. I know I'd be willing to write one after seeing a photo of what is going on now.

Perhaps something like that could get to the higher-ups without going through the one above you.:hugs

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Geez, that is a disappointment! Do they generate any waste that could be used for compost? I would imagine they want to appear "green", so that would be a win-win for them. Good luck! Maybe mother nature will come through for you...

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
So sorry it has turned out like this. You we so excited and honored to be asked to do this project. What a bummer to have a supervisor like that who doesn't want to be bothered.

Latest posts