Massive Hubbard's

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is the first year I bothered to grow Hubbard squash. I usually have good success with zukes (of course!), butternut, and spaghetti.

Well I can't believe the size of these Hubbard's! They are huge. It would take a crowd of about 25 people to just eat one of them. :eek: They must weigh 30 lbs or more.

What am I going to do with them? Anybody have any good Hubbard squash recipes? :D

As an aside, my first year growing "Buttercup" squash has been very good as well. It must have been a good summer for squash growing...:)

poppycat

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Pic's please :)

You can use them for anything you would use pumpkin in.

I usually roast squash in the oven, run it through the food mill and then freeze it in two cup portions.

You could feed some to your chickens if you have tons and tons.

katz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
You are so lucky ! I love the winter squash altho I haven't ate or grew a Hubbard , but for the others butternut and pumpkins even the spaghetti , I wash and cut in half,scoop out the seeds, rinse and try to prick a few holes in it and turn the meat side down in a plate and microwave till the squash is done or about 12 minutes and then take a spoon and scoop the meat out ,then I can freeze it or eat it and my favorite is to scoop out add cinnamon ,brown sugar and butter and just eat it or you can make pies or whatever you do with yam's or pumpkin.
I love pumpkin and yams so the winter squash taste great too.

Here in the heat, it's too hot to use the oven .

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Good for you!! Isn't it exciting to have wonderful things all the way through fall?!?

Squash can be used for anything you would use pumpkin in. We enjoy ours in lasagna, bread, pancakes, waffles, pies, smoothies, cookie dip, mashed, soups, etc. Go crazy until your skin turns orange!

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
DH bought one of those once in Vt. and brought it home and the only place we had to keep the thing was beside the bed. I told him he had to keep it on his side as it looked like something from "Invasion of the Body Snatchers". They make good Halloween decorations.

He finally took a hatched to the thing and we had Hubbard for months. They are really good, but one is enough for me. LOL

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:lol::lol: Funny post Rockytopsis!

Invasion of the body snatchers pods is a good comparison!

I cut one of the smaller ones up last night, as it had a bit of a soft spot, where I think the garden gate was hitting it.

The neighbor brought his tractor over so we could roll it into the bucket to move it closer to the house. Then with a chainsaw that was lubricated with vegtable oil, we cut it up into chunks of manageable sizes. With a dolly we could then move the pieces easier. I will try and post a photo when photobucket is working again.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here's the picture. Hope it turned out....
motherhubbard.jpg

Latest posts