Maters and Taters--How far apart?

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Does anyone know how far apart maters and taters should be? I have always planted them in completly different gardens, but I have a new garden area, that I could put both in and they would be roughly 10 ft apart is that far enough? I have read they should be kept apart because of early and late blight issues(both are susectible). Any advice appreciated.

Kim

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well I guess they will go to seperate gardens just to be safe.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was told planting them near each other stunts their growth and affects the taste of the tomatoes.

I did read basil near tomatoes actually enhances their flavor though :)

Kricket

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I was told to rotate the tators every few years too. I thought I read that tators and mators are from the same family and can get the same disease. :idunno Call your extension office and they will tell you. Mine are on opposite ends of the 200ft garden that I have.
Good luck :)

unclejoe

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Last year ( my first year with tators ) I only had 10' between them. I didn't know they shouldn't be planted close together. :rolleyes: I had a bumper crop of tomatoes and about 30# of tators from 5 plants. Don't know if that's a good yield or not. Guess I better separate them a little more this year just to be sure.

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Thank you for all your replies. I have grown taters for about 4 years now and yes you need to use a 3 year rotation, and yes taters and maters are both of the nightshade family so both can get the same cooties, I just wasn't sure how far cooties spread:idunno We are starting a new garden area and it would be a nice area to try the taters in and yes I'll admit it I was trying to be lazy with the watering chores. But I will move the maters to the older garden so I can try the taters in the new area. Definately better safe than sorry. Thank you all again

Texan

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I didnt know anything about keeping maters and taters apart. Never heard that afore. I am new to this though. So, yall have just given the the excuse to go out a rip some more yard apart. We have the tomato plants in the ground already. We are waiting (and waiting and waiting) on our blue potatoes to get here. We ordered from "Burgess". They neglected to tell us that we would have to wait forever when we ordered. We finally did get seeds from them.

Thanks for sharing that. That was a nice need to know item.

Mike D