Measles?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
In the mid 50s we got lined up at school pretty often and got all sorts of shots. It was a horrible way to do it; some kids freaked out from standing in line for an hour being told all sorts of horror stories from the older kids about how big the needles were, etc.
In spite of, or in addition to the vaccinations, all the kids still got mumps, measles and chicken pox. Parents would quarantine their own kids at home, and other parents would bring their kids by to expose them, as they figured they might as well do it now rather than later. That would probably be considered child abuse now, but it was the norm back then.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I remember those older kids' jokes, @so lucky !

I grew up in a hospital compound on the west coast of Alaska in a village called Bethel.
Good Heavens. You moved from the Alaskan coast to Birmingham Alabama?!

That seems amazing to me. Is it okay if I make a joke? You must have headed home one night in the dark and confused the abbreviations AK and AL ;).

Yes, I had pneumonia in high school and had "penicillin in the bottom" every day for 6 days. I remember the trips to the doctor's office were exhausting ... because I was sick ... I was rather sore after awhile, too!

Steve

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I remember those older kids' jokes, @so lucky !

Good Heavens. You moved from the Alaskan coast to Birmingham Alabama?!

That seems amazing to me. Is it okay if I make a joke? You must have headed home one night in the dark and confused the abbreviations AK and AL ;).

Yes, I had pneumonia in high school and had "penicillin in the bottom" every day for 6 days. I remember the trips to the doctor's office were exhausting ... because I was sick ... I was rather sore after awhile, too!

Steve

Just the opposite! Born in Montgomery, AL 1965. My parents met at Troy University and wrangled some jobs with the AK State University. My brother was born there. I came back because oak trees amongst other, warmer details.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have not been in your part of Alabama, @Dirtmechanic .

However, I remember those Live Oaks covered with Spanish moss on both sides of Pensacola and down in Tallahassee.

:) Very pretty. Enchanting.

Steve

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have not been in your part of Alabama, @Dirtmechanic .

However, I remember those Live Oaks covered with Spanish moss on both sides of Pensacola and down in Tallahassee.

:) Very pretty. Enchanting.

Steve
And noisy! Once the bugs lull you to sleep it is weirdly quiet in other countries. But I am a little north of the semi-tropical plain, we are in the transition zone so no spanish moss for us. Thats ok, no gators either!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
In the mid 50s we got lined up at school pretty often an ies from the older kids about how big the needles were, etc.
In spite of, or in addition to the vaccinations, all the kids still got mumps, measles and chicken pox. Parents would quarantine their own kids at home, and other parents would bring their kids by to expose them, as they figured they might as well do it now rather than later. That would probably be considered child abuse now, but it was the norm back then.
Yes it was , Lived it. :)

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I got chicken pox in the 3rd grade and we had a few friends stop over to get exposed as well.

I also got vaccinated but it was at the pediatrician's office not at school. All 3 of my kids are vaccinated too I can't imagine not doing it. What gets me is how people will take the word from the internet over how many hours of research from actual scientists who have proven vaccines safe?

I get a flu vaccine too every year too. Why take the chance? Whats next are we going to have an outbreak of polio? How do you defend not vaccinating your kid and they get sick?

I'm all for single payer healthcare system that some politicians are pushing however let that also include mandates for vaccinations.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am curious at the mental breakdown where a antivacc will try to grow a plant and use anything at all to keep it healthy. Especially since products like mycostop and actinovate are basically acting as a penicillum mold. They have a low mental wattage. Like snow on a tv, it makes them feel something where their brain is numb. I do not wish to make fun of the ignorant people. I do wish to enforce the definition of ignorance in its 2 parts, don't know, don't care to know.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Considering how communicable measles are, picture this. Parents send a child with measles to school. The other kids connect the dots which spell, "My parents re idiots".
That would be the least problem....law suits, a crazy grief stricken parent wanting old fashioned revenge.... I doubt in reality how many public educated children have not gotten the vaccine. Here, it’s only the home schooled children and not all of them.

Latest posts