Measles?

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I had both kinds of measles when I was a kid, chicken pox, mumps and whooping cough. Those days the health dept. came and nailed a quarantine sign on your house until you were passed the danger of passing it on. I again had measles when I was in my 20's but my kids never caught i from me. I was down right miserable.
The only vaccinations I had as a kid was one for small pox and our doctor gave me a shot when the girl next door came down with scarlet fever. My kids had all the vaccinations available and also for polio, me too.
DH as a kid had scarlet fever and was in a isolation hospital for that. I asked my DH if he had chicken pox when he was young, he didn't know. Well we know now he's just now got over a bad case of shingles, if you're over 50 GET the vaccination, a friend has lost most of the sight in one eye from shingles and another came close.
If there is a vaccination for chicken pox GET IT, I've had shingles 4 times not fun, so now get the vaccination for that.
If I had young children today they would get all the vaccinations available.
Yes there is a chance of a problem but the consequences of what can happen are just as dangerous if not more so if you don't. Just my personal opinion.
Annette

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My Mother had polio as a teenager. It left her with a tremor in her right hand. She was lucky. I can still remember her taking me to get polio vaccine, standing in a long line with other Mothers with their children, and I got a pink sugar cube.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
In Indiana, you have to be 60 to get the shingles shot-first thing Indid after my birthday. Shingles are not to be messed with as a friend didn’t take them serious-too busy farming-and now has to have a nerve blocker on his spine. Always in pain now.

Cousin had scarlet fever, caused heart issues for her.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have wondered about shingles and repeat occurrences. Apparently, I had a very minor case about 20 years ago -- painful and left a scar.

A friend's parents and older brother had polio in the early 1950's.

His father died, mother wore braces and then used a wheelchair in later life. His brother had a fairly good recovery.

Perhaps it is difficult for some people to understand that we are a part of Earth Life and some of it is dangerous to us. Our immune systems can go a long way towards protecting our bodies but, sometimes, it is overwhelmed by infections.

Steve

Last edited: