Medicaid

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Free" health care varies a good deal by state.

Idaho Department of Health & Welfare, LINK:

"If you receive Medicaid after age 55, a lien may be placed on your estate up to the value of benefits paid. If you have no estate, the claim may be made against the estate of your spouse. No estate recovery will be made until after your death and that of a surviving spouse."

Can you imagine the majority of people needing to go into a nursing home being able to read and understand that and what it might mean to them if they can? So much is placed on others' shoulders by the needs of persons with acute or chronic illness.

Steve

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh great, Steve. Hubs and I have been on Medi Cal for two years, thankfully after escaping the ACA program. Now we've applied for OHP Ore Health Plan. Does this mean that any monies we've "used" for our care these last two years will be owed at the time of our death? Will those fund accrue interest and fees?
Sigh.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
definitely see a pro. :hugs

can't wait until it is single payer. there's no need for the BS we have now.

good luck. :)
"Single Payer" means the government decides who gets what. That is what they have had in GB since the 1950's. That means that it is RATIONED. Only very wealthy people, those that fly to other countries, like the U.S.A. get prompt service.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/03/world/europe/uk-national-health-service.html
This article is a small window to understanding how bad "single payer" has become.
When I was a small child we paid directly for medical services like you now pay for dental services or services.
Single payer is fraught with fraud and bureaucratic abuse and neglect. Un-elected officials make all of the decisions and you can't get rid of them.
@Gardening with Rabbits, start calling attorneys. Many attorneys who don't handle this kind of case will direct to those that do. I can't really ask for specific advice from the attys that I work with bc you live in another state. Give your search a couple of weeks. If you hit a brick wall, PM me and I'll see what I can find out for you. Prayers sent for your comfort. :hugs
Also,
F.alse
E.vidence
A.ppearing
R.eal

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
October is a bad month for my MIL, having lost her husband that month and with his birthday and their anniversary back to back.

I agree, you and your children can only press forward, keep your home and plant your garden and enjoy it. Not like we can take any of it with us anyway. You have our love and prayers. :hugs

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Here's what I just went through with Medicaid.
My pop and his wife went into a nursing home. They could keep their house and 1 vehicle, even though they didn't live in the house or drive.
My step mother passed first, about 2 yrs ago, and my pop passed last Nov.
My brother had never moved away form home and was considered their care giver until they went into nursing care.
According to Medicaid since he was their care giver and that was his full time home the home passed to him and was not used to pay down what Medicaid had spent on their nursing home care.
I do know that he had a lawyer when we were messing with getting them eligible for Medicaid.

THANX RICH

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am very sorry to hear you getting hassled by the govt. my opinion is just put it aside for awhile and be with your family, that stuff is not going anywhere. You can always pick it up and work on it another time down the road. You have enough on your plate right now, no need piling that on also. My mom been on Medicare for long time for mental illness they have put a lien on her 250 acre property and we are figuring out what to do little by little, it takes time. I would just work on your garden plans, seed starting, and spend time with family right now.

Latest posts