Meet Pearl, New Horse

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good work, looking much improved! :)
Have you taped her to measure her weight gain?

I bought a 2 year old stallion that was a wild one off the reservation, and he had a huge thick winter coat. It took 3 weeks of working with him until he trusted me enough to let me touch him. I knew he was skinny when I got him, but didn't realize the extent until I ran my hands over him. Even after weeks of free feed his ribs were washboards. I taped him when he would finally allow it, and he gained 200# from that time. Who knows what amount he actually gained from the beginning.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
For some reason, that kill pen washes the horses, probably because they come in muddy and filthy. I suspect they wet them down to make the color brighter.

@thistlebloom I didn't know about a weight tape for horses, only pigs. Are they one and the same?

Rammy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It sure looked different. One she looked black and another she looked brown. Cool.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom I didn't know about a weight tape for horses, only pigs. Are they one and the same?

No, you have to get one specifically for horses.
Or if you love to do math you can calculate her weight by measuring her heart girth and her length (point of shoulder to point of rump).
So that formula would be HG X HG X L /330 + 50.

A tape is easier for some of us.

Last edited:

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are ones for dairy cows & for beef cows too - because of their very different build. I wonder why they don't make different ones for ponies and horses??

Which reminds me, I need to tape Eva again soon. She has grown so much over the last year.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
For some reason, that kill pen washes the horses, probably because they come in muddy and filthy. I suspect they wet them down to make the color brighter.

I knew a guy who used baby oil on his auction horses, which were in good weight and well trained.

Last edited:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, you have to get one specifically for horses.
Or if you love to do math you can calculate her weight by measuring her heart girth and her length (point of shoulder to point of rump).
So that formula would be HG X HG X L.

A tape is easier for some of us.
Dang, you know so much about horses! Where you'd learn all your stuff?

Mary