Meet Pearl, New Horse

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My brother and I worked and saved for a horse.

We were just kids and Dad used our enthusiasm to teach us to do chores. We were given a Hereford calf to care for and when it was sold, we could supplement our savings from cracking and selling walnuts to the local grocery store enough to buy Willie.

He was a big strong horse who preferred children to adults. The smaller the children, the quieter and more docile he became. Lucky for us, he learned to tolerate us as we grew up.

Steve

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The good ones are always worth their weight in gold...as a teenager I had an older been-there-done-that kind of horse that we saved from starving to death. His owners had good intentions, they just knew nothing about horses until he got to the point where not even the slaughterhouses would buy him. Six months later I had the best first horse ever.

He was the kind of horse we pulled out to let people take their first rides on, or for the toddlers to feet bits of grass to. He loved to take care of people...the more you needed him the steadier he became.

He was 25 when we found him, and I kept him for 5 years until old age caught up with him and he passed in his sleep. There is not a day I don't miss him even decades later. I would do it again in a heartbeat...the rescues always seem to know when they've found a good home.

Treasure your pearl, you have a real gem there.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a WOW! moment today. We have had Pearl for 2 years. She is fairly easy to catch, but walks away from me, usually annoyed. She will follow me with a feed bucket, but what horse won't? I let her out after she eats and if I want to pet her, I have to hold her halter to keep her from walking away. I always talk to her, always pet and scratch her, then let her go.

This evening I opened the gate to let her out and scratched her chest. I didn't hold her halter. Pearl wrapped her neck around me and I rubbed and scratched her neck. I rubbed her side, belly and ribs. Then I switched sides. Pearl still didn't walk away and again wrapped her neck around me. I gave her lots of rubs and scratches. In 2 years, Pearl has NEVER asked for attention.

I put out a few flakes of hay, Prince and Sparkles stood in the barn eating hay, so I put some flakes outside for her. She stood in the doorway, watching me instead of going to the hay. I closed up the door to the feed room and walked Pearl over to a flake of hay. I talked to her and gave her some more rubs and scratches.

This has taken 2 years for Pearl to decide she can trust me. One of those WOW! moments I wanted to share 'cause I knew y'all would know how big it is

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a WOW! moment today. We have had Pearl for 2 years. She is fairly easy to catch, but walks away from me, usually annoyed. She will follow me with a feed bucket, but what horse won't? I let her out after she eats and if I want to pet her, I have to hold her halter to keep her from walking away. I always talk to her, always pet and scratch her, then let her go.

This evening I opened the gate to let her out and scratched her chest. I didn't hold her halter. Pearl wrapped her neck around me and I rubbed and scratched her neck. I rubbed her side, belly and ribs. Then I switched sides. Pearl still didn't walk away and again wrapped her neck around me. I gave her lots of rubs and scratches. In 2 years, Pearl has NEVER asked for attention.

I put out a few flakes of hay, Prince and Sparkles stood in the barn eating hay, so I put some flakes outside for her. She stood in the doorway, watching me instead of going to the hay. I closed up the door to the feed room and walked Pearl over to a flake of hay. I talked to her and gave her some more rubs and scratches.

This has taken 2 years for Pearl to decide she can trust me. One of those WOW! moments I wanted to share 'cause I knew y'all would know how big it is
AWESOME :love

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
She has shaggy winter hair now. Still skinny, she hit a plateau then started losing weight again. I wormed her 3 times, 10 days apart and started pouring feed to her. She has gained weight but still remains thin. I’ve never had a horse stay so skinny for so long. It is frustrating! Otherwise she is happy and healthy. I’ll try to get a picture of her this evening.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ninnymary here ya’ go! Pictures!

8A7AC040-B9F2-4784-A96B-FDDF349A1C47.jpeg

This shows how her hip bones still stick out and how prominent her backbone is. Pearl is far, far better than when we got her, but nowhere near where I want her to be.

76C7316B-F2AB-4F6A-ADFA-4CD68E180BC6.jpeg

Latest posts