Meet Pearl, New Horse

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
That looks like great joy and memory making....but not enough for me to take care of a horse.......:hide

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@ninnymary here ya’ go! Pictures!

View attachment 38179

This shows how her hip bones still stick out and how prominent her backbone is. Pearl is far, far better than when we got her, but nowhere near where I want her to be.

View attachment 38180
Pearl is just a hard keeper. I have owned them, especially my favorite, my Arabian, "Corporal." Bought him as a skinny 4yo, died of a stroke at 27yo. A few times I got him in good weight.
I might suggest a couple of things that may help,.
1) alfalfa cubes/pellets
2) float her teeth
You can treasure that she is trusting you. Sometimes, honestly, I wish some of these bad horse owners would just euthanize the horses that they have abused and neglected. They suffer so. I have Also seen horses turned out with planting discs rusting in the grass, and messed up cattle fencing with the barbed wired twisted. Guess there isn't common sense, anymore.
God Bless You for giving her a wonderful home!! :love:love:love

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pearl is FINALLY gaining weight and looking better than she has since we got her. Her ribs showed a few months ago, her backbone stuck up. This picture was taken December 28th.

310820EC-C47C-411B-AD1B-DA132F990AD9.jpeg

I took this picture yesterday. I can’t even feel her ribs now and she has gained weight. Her backbone doesn’t stick up as far. Her hip bones don’t stick out as far either. We’re getting there!

FC19488E-4E33-468E-A3C0-026F52A11C98.jpeg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pearl’s flank is finally filling in. Her hip bone still sticks out, but I can’t hang a hat on it anymore. Her flanks have been caved in since we got her, major improvement!

2D329124-CD39-4BC1-AC8B-CFDBC493EEBA.jpeg

Her butt is finally rounding out instead of that pointy bony butt she had. This has been a long road, we are nearing our destination.
777ED80E-7B73-4243-AE07-8370B077D042.jpeg

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pearl’s flank is finally filling in. Her hip none still sticks out, but I can’t hang a hat on it anymore. Her flanks have been caved in since we got her, major improvement!

View attachment 39083

Her butt is finally rounding out instead of that pointy bony butt she had. This has been a long road, we are nearing our destination.
View attachment 39084

why am i looking at horse butt? i mean, it looks like a nice horse butt, butt i don't know why i'm looking at it? perhaps because it is there. :) you know i'm just kidding, i understand what you mean about liking that she's filled in and gained weight, but i'm pretty sure if i started talk to Mom about this she'd roll her eyes and walk away. :) i'm glad she is working out well and in a happy home for her. :)

Latest posts