Melons stopped growing?

starshrike

Sprout
Reaction score
I have two types of melons growing: Honeydew (apparently) and watermelons.

The honeydews started fruiting first, 2 melons per vine, watermelons only recently. The honeydews have STOPPED growing in size though I've maintained a consistent watering schedule and the weather is still good (70-85 daytime). I am in California, so nights have been fair as well (50s). Watermelons are still growing, and are catching up in size.

Current size of the largest honeydew is about the size of a small cantalope ~ 7 in diameter. The weird thing is, even the smallest honeydew (approx 3 in diameter) stopped at the same time.

Any idea what am I doing wrong??

Thanks!

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I would think your problem is not you, it is your cooler night time temps. I believe melons like ground temps above 65 degrees. Let's see what everyone else says.

Everyone else?

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
punkin makes a good point. Temps below 60 degrees will cause melons to slow or completely stop growing. As will too much water or too little water. Good news is that this should only be temporary and as soon as the temps pick up again they should start growing again.

You can possibly help heat up the night time temps by putting up a cold frame or putting down a thick layer of mulch which will help retain heat and moisture and release it at night. You may also consider pinching off the growing tips or new fruits and flowers as they appear so that the energy of the plant can go to the existing fruits.

Good luck!

starshrike

Sprout
Reaction score
Well the odd part is that the watermelons are still growing well, but it was only the honeydews that stopped. I've pinched off the tips and I will hold back on watering the honeydews. I have clay soil and have only amended about 8 inches below the ground level - so including the raised bed height, I only have a foot of WELL drainable soil. It took me almost 2 weeks to make 2 relatively small raised beds (1.5 ftx6 ft) with the soil and I wanted to get the melon seedlings in the ground. I am guessing the clay is harboring more water than the honeydew can handle. :/

Thanks for your help!

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
After reading this thread, I'm so glad to have put a metal garbage can ring around each of my melon hills. It is a metal garbage can cut in half and the bottom cut out. I originally put these around my melon hills to help protect them from the ground squirrel assault but am thinking that it'll help keep the heat in the soil when the nights get cooler here. My watermelons are just starting to flower after having to regrow all of their leaves back. They sit side by side with my cantaloups, and the ground squirrels ate every leaf off of the watermelon before I caged them off, while leaving the cantaloup alone.

Latest posts