Memories of the old times & unsolved mysterious

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you notice the section where he talks about how they say "far" instead of "fire". I remember my niece wanting me to push her on the "barl". She had to show me, I couldn't figure it out. They'd hung a 55 gallon drum on a rope to use as a swing. She wanted to be pushed on the barrel. That little girl is now a grandmother and managing a CVS. Marie, CVS is a pharmacy chain, probably just here in the US.

That reminds me of a joke

The minister was examining the creche that one of the parishioners has put together for the Church. He asked "Why are the Three Wise Men wearing fire helmets?"

The maker replier, in a Southern drawl "Cuz Yyall said "The Three Wise Men came from afar"".

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
if you look on the map of the USoA you'll find a city in eastern Tennessee called Johnson City and not far from there a little town called Elizabethton. i lived there for a few years.

while i was there for the first time (after living in Asheville NC for three weeks i decided to go over to the other side of the mountains and see how that was) i rented a room at a flop house in downtown JC and one of the people staying there was an old retired sherriff.

a few evenings i spent sitting on the front steps/porch listening to him tell stories. in comparison the guy in the above video is very understandable, the way i understood most of the sherriff's stories was about 1 in 10 words and then i'd have to back track and ask questions and sometimes he'd be able to say something where we'd eventually get it figured out what he was trying to say. he was pretty patient but wow by the end of an evening i was so tired of listening so hard.

that whole time i never learned why he was staying there, he wasn't a drunk or a druggie that i could tell, just someone not wanting to live somewhere else or who'd hit a hard patch and never come out of it financially or something was all i could guess.

good memories though. i never saw him again.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a wood stove to cook on for several years. It was a tough go, for me!

Baking in the oven was impossible. I think that it was only possible after the fire had been stoked for several hours. In my cabin, there was a wood heating stove within just a few feet of the kitchen stove. In the cold months, there was no problem for me to heat my 400 square foot cabin. However, if I also fired up the kitchen stove, it put out so much heat that things were quickly uncomfortably warm. In the summer, I had no desire to run that cook stove for hours!

The result -- I stopped try trying to use the oven. On top the stove, I did fine. In fact, I had a special stove-top baking oven. Yep ;). Biscuits and cornbread were no problem :).

Steve

Latest posts