MF Global nightmare and how it might affect us this year

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i caught this earlier today while looking at some of the headlines and i'm very surprised to see no comments on this by now! i guess it just got shoved under the mat with all the political stuff that mass media thinks we focus on.

it seems with all the issues around the MF Global bankruptcy it has caused some issues with the tax filing of some farmers. and in turn may just slow them down from buying supplies, planting or raising their animals this year because they are still trying to figure out if they profited or lost money this past year. one sentence really stood out about them going to be behind starting their growing season because of the massive amounts of paperwork they have to go through because someone else was supposed to be responsible with keeping track of it for them! :rolleyes:
http://news.yahoo.com/mf-global-failure-creates-tax-175718470.html

i won't trust anyone from now on to 'make things easier by taking it out of my hands'! this just stinks for those people that don't have their own garden space to help offset the costs that are going to be jumping even higher at the grocery stores and the gas pumps. it makes me happy that i do gardening in my own yard, but it makes me want to be more self sufficient this year and really stock up on fruits and veggies that will store well or good for canning and freezing.

anyone on here feeling this pain directly by having to deal with the MF Global paperwork for their Agri businesses?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I am not a professional farmer, but my town is rural and there is farmland contiguous west of my 5 acres, and my farmette used to be part of an additional 50 acre plot. Longwinded explanation of why I watch what is planted behind me. I am a member of the Champaign County Farm Bureau and I read their weekly publication. Farmer's profits are often knife-thin.
IMO, something will need to be done from both ends. Farmers have been getting government subsidies since 1933. My opinion of this?
:ep and :somad
We know about the greedy GMO seed companies and the greedy herbicide/insecticide distributors.
I believe that consumers needs to be educated about how unhealthy their food has become. People are developing allergies that are directly related to the genetic makeup of the grains they unknowingly consume, and with that STUPID Food Pyramid that recommends that you eat more bread products than vegetables, fruits and grains, the numbers get bigger every year.
We can use social media, emails, and posts and REALLY talk about this. Look at how the anti-smokers have talked it up SO MUCH that smokers are looked upon as big-time sinners, instead of people who practice one of MANY health habits, and they harm themselves far more than anybody else.
I don't want to make villians out of farmers. I am sure that they would prefer to rotate 5 crops, like farmers used to do, but they cannot afford to do this.
I believe the BEST thing to do first is to get the government OUT of our food consumption, to stop letting them pick winners and losers with OUR tax money.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
not quite what the article was about. it was not about GMO crops at all, it was about how a Ponzi scheme from one of the biggest financial 'baron' groups has caused a nightmare for food producers to do their taxes for the 2011 year. food producers put money into this company as 'insurance' for the rise and fall of their crops or produce on the unstable markets. Please, make sure you actually read an article before you comment!

the last time i ventured to a nutritionist they were pushing a more vegetarian diet of fruits, veggies, and nuts, less meats/dairy or unhealthy non-whole grains. you can always check out the Gov't website on nutrition to check what is being told to people today. they are no longer using the 'food pyramid', i think they now use a picture of a plate divided up into portion sized percentages.

Latest posts